Alka is a Partner and Co-Chair of the firm's Corporate Immigration Practice Group. She has extensive experience in corporate immigration and employer compliance issues, including:
- Social Security mismatch issues
- Business visas (Bs, Es, Fs, Hs, Js, Ls, Os, Ps and Qs, plus corresponding permanent residence applications)
In the course of her career focused on corporate immigration law, Alka has represented a wide variety of clients, from Fortune 500 clients to small, privately held corporations to healthcare and non-profit organizations across the country. Alka has developed a niche in representing fashion houses of all sizes around the world and has become well known for her attention and creative solutions to employers' hiring needs. Some other industries Alka has assisted include:
- Media and entertainment
- Eyewear manufacturing and distribution
- Information technology
- Financial services
- Payroll processing services
- Nonprofit children's services
Also a member of the firm's Labor & Employment Practice Group, Alka has assisted with a variety of management-side negotiations with unions as related to immigration matters, and has provided guidance and training on I-9 and Social Security mismatches to employers of all sizes.
Alka has filed more than 7,000 petitions relating to the employment of non-immigrants and the acquisition of permanent residence. Alka is committed to strategic immigration planning, responsive to the unique needs of business clientele, and mindful of the enormous importance of timely and cost-effective legal representation.
A noted speaker and author on corporate immigration topics, Alka regularly hosts seminars on immigration compliance and strategic planning and has authored numerous published articles on IRCA and I-9 matters, as well as visa-related topics.
Alka is permitted to represent immigration clients in every jurisdiction of the United States and all Consulates worldwide.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to merging with Fox Rothschild, Alka was the Chair of the Corporate Immigration Practice Group at Grotta, Glassman & Hoffman. Prior to that, Alka built and managed a highly successful business immigration practice operating in all jurisdictions worldwide.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
In 2014, Alka became the Chair-Elect of the Immigration Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
In 2011, Alka was appointed to four American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) committees including Customs and Border Control, Department of Labor, ICE, and Technology, which she serves as the co-chair on.
In 2008, Alka was appointed chair of the Immigration Law Committee of the Essex County Bar Association.
Immigration View Blog
U.S. immigration law comprises a system of highly complex, intricate, many-layered statutes, regulations, informal agency materials and policies which are often influenced by the current political climate. Anyone attempting to navigate this system needs attorneys well versed in the nuances of this multifaceted process. Join our experienced immigration bloggers as they provide regular updates for employers on the full gamut of immigration issues ranging from hiring, compliance and employment best practices to the latest developments in visa news and coverage of significant immigration-related decisions, as well as practical advice to ease the immigration process.
View the Immigration View Blog
I-9 Process Guide (pdf)
I-9 Audit Guide (pdf)
Honors & Awards
- Rated “Excellent” by Avvo
- Named the “Second Most Read Contributor in the United States” by Mondaq (September 2015, April 2016)
- Named the “Third Most Read Contributor in the United States” by Mondaq (August 2014, June 2015, September 2015, November 2015)
- Named the “Fourth Most Read Contributor in the United States” by Mondaq (October 2014, April 2015)
- Named the “Fifth Most Read Contributor in the United States” by Mondaq (August 2015)
- Named among the "Best 50 Women in Business" by NJBIZ (2011)
- Named among the "Forty Under 40" by NJBIZ (2010)
- Named among the "40 Under 40" by the New Jersey Law Journal (2009)