Archana is a business litigator who assists clients in matters involving health care and ERISA litigation, patent issues and general business and financial services disputes. A former judicial clerk for the Minnesota Supreme Court, Archana has served as lead attorney in numerous Medicare, Medicaid and ERISA actions nationwide for health insurers, plans and administrators. She also represents patentees and accused infringers in patent infringement and invalidity matters.
- Defends national health insurance companies in multimillion-dollar Medicare, Medicaid and commercial health care disputes with providers, third-party administrators (TPAs) and managed services organizations (MSOs) in multiple jurisdictions.
- Defends plans and administrators against ERISA breach of fiduciary and denial of benefits actions in federal courts nationwide, including Escobar et al. v. Infinity Healthcare Physicians et al. (E.D. Wis. 2014), Stites v. United Healthcare Insurance Company et al. (E.D. Okla. 2014), Morgan v. CONEXIS Benefits Administrators et al. (E.D. Ky. 2013), Gehringer v. United Healthcare Plan of the River Valley et al. (Iowa, Polk County 2013), and Walker v. Nationwide Mutual Fire Insurance Company et al. (E.D. Mich. 2012).
- Represents a Fortune 500 health insurance company in litigation and arbitrations across the country against providers submitting fraudulent/improper health insurance claims.
- Represents patentees and accused infringers in several complex patent infringement and invalidity matters.
- Obtained summary judgment for an international company against multimillion-dollar RICO and unfair competition claims in federal court.
- Successfully defended a Medicare Managed Care insurer as co-lead counsel in a two-week confidential arbitration against a claim of $20 million owed on the final reconciliation of a contract with a managed services organization in South Florida.
- Gjerde v. UnitedHealthcare Plan of the River Valley (Iowa Ct. App) – Successful summary judgment and appeal to Iowa Court of Appeals relating to a health insurance payor’s denial of benefits under the Iowa Insurance Code.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court relating to an ERISA plan sponsor’s denial of benefits.
- Served as lead associate and presenting attorney in a confidential arbitration defending an insurer against a $5 million contract claim by a managed services organization and the counterclaim that the managed services organization’s new plan improperly enrolled the payor’s members.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Archana was a partner at Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP. While attending law school, Archana was editor of the Minnesota Journal of Law and Inequality and a member of the Order of the Coif.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Archana is an appointed member of the Federal Practice Committee for the District of Minnesota. Archana is also actively involved in a number of charitable, community and pro bono activities. She provides free assistance in litigation business law matters to low-income owners of small businesses, small nonprofit organizations and low-income innovators in Minnesota through Legal Corps. She also participates in the Tubman Safety Project, which provides pro bono legal representation to low-income victims of domestic violence seeking orders of protection.
Archana also volunteers at the Children’s Law Center, which helps to solve an array of legal challenges facing low-income children and their families such as issues related to custody, special education services and basic utilities. She is also a member of the American Bar Association’s Death Penalty Project, which offers defense efforts and other assistance in death penalty cases.
Archana also serves as a reading volunteer at St. Joseph’s Home for Children.
Archana is a board member and Vice President
of the Minnesota Justice Foundation, an organization that connects law students
and public service organizations to provide legal services to a wide range of
populations in need. Archana is also on the board of directors of NARAL Pro
Honors & Awards
- Included in a list of "Rising Stars" in the Minnesota Women’s Edition of Super Lawyers Magazine (2016)
- Included in a list of "Rising Stars" by Super Lawyers Magazine (2015-2016)
- Included in a list of “Up & Coming Attorneys” by Minnesota Lawyer (2013)
- Noted as a “North Star Lawyer” for pro bono work by the Minnesota State Bar Association (2012-2013)