Samuel W. Cortes
Sam litigates commercial, construction, and insurance disputes in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania, often handling cases in the health care industry. He has also successfully represented clients in arbitration and mediation proceedings.
Sam has obtained insurance coverage for policyholders in commercial insurance coverage disputes. He also assists financial services companies in obtaining necessary court approvals of business transactions, having obtained approvals for numerous assignments of lottery prizes and structured settlement proceeds. Representative matters in the past three years include the following:
- obtaining summary judgment in favor of banking institution in a multi-million dollar insurance coverage dispute in a case of first impression in federal district court concerning the meaning of Pennsylvania's insurable interest statute;
- obtaining summary judgment in favor of medical practice policyholder in significant general liability insurance coverage dispute involving a tragic fatality;
- obtaining preliminary injunction precluding departing physician from competing with former medical practice;
- obtaining extraordinary relief for construction firm concerning its land use rights, compelling a municipality to allow the construction firm take the desired action on its property; and
- obtaining significant judgment in federal district court in a breach of contract action arising out of a complicated sale transaction.
Sam also handles construction litigation matters on behalf of public and private owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, and lenders. Sam has successfully defended builders and developers, and pursued claims on behalf of homeowners in construction defect cases.
Sam also handles contract drafting and negotiation, and provides counseling to clients regarding risk identification, mitigation, and avoidance.
Before Fox RothschildSam resides in Chester County with his wife and children. He is active in many community and professional organizations, serving on the boards of the Exton Region Chamber of Commerce (formerly as Chairperson and a member of the Executive Committee), Chester County Bar Association, and the Chester County Bar Foundation. He is also active in the Boston College Alumni Association.
Client ResourcesConstruction Law Blog
Sam contributes to Fox Rothschild's Construction Law Blog (http://constructionlaw.foxrothschild.com/
) discussing topics of interest to the construction industry, such as industry trends, public projects and construction litigation, with an emphasis on the Mid-Atlantic Region.
Honors and Awards
• Included in the list of "Pennsylvania Rising Stars" by Philadelphia Magazine
and Law & Politics Magazine