Jeffrey S. Kravitz
Named as one of the leading intellectual property, trademark, copyright and trade secrets attorneys in California by Chambers USA, Jeff focuses his practice on business and intellectual property, entertainment, and technology disputes. In his practice spanning more than 30 years, Jeff has tried more than 25 cases to verdict or judgment. As a tough and smart trial lawyer, Jeff is sought after because he is aggressive, when appropriate, while also keeping his eye on the desired ultimate resolution of the dispute.
In his business and intellectual property litigation practice, Jeff has deep experience with matters such as copyrights, trademarks, unfair competition, media, libel and trade secret law. His deep experience includes a number of partnership breakups, known in the field as "business divorces." Such disputes involve longstanding business partnerships, usually among personal friends, that have gone from a position of mutual trust to a high degree of distrust.
Jeff's entertainment practice includes the representation of a wide variety of clients, including production companies, studios, and individuals. He has aided those clients with litigation needs, particularly in the areas of copyright infringement, invasion of privacy, and sexual harassment. In addition, Jeff has provided his entertainment clients with business counseling in all areas of intellectual property.
Jeff has more than 20 years of experience handling insurance coverage disputes and has taken coverage and bad faith cases to verdict and appeal.
In his technology practice, Jeff represents online technology companies and emerging startups in litigation matters. He presently has cases pending in the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, Orange County and Silicon Valley. In addition to litigation, he serves as counselor to companies as they seek to protect their intellectual property.
Jeff has also been an expert witness on copyright, insurance, legal malpractice, attorney fee and legal employment matters.
Jeff's recent cases include:
- Representation in a partnership dispute involving property in greater Los Angeles
- Representation of a major studio against sexual harassment charges
- Representation of trustee in a commercial case where putative buyer sought specific performance of sale of property
- Representation of broadcasters in numerous disputed claims of copyright infringement and invasion of privacy
- Representation of a cable network in breach of copyright matter brought by competing producer regarding a television special on African- American military regiment
- Representation of a major television network in series of lawsuits designed to prevent airing of television specials revealing magic tricks
- Representation of a bicycle company in a case against a competing exercise equipment company
- Representation of a Canadian broadcaster against several copyright claims brought by a producer
- Representation in a breach of copyright case involving design patterns
Jeff's leadership roles within the firm include:
- Office Managing Partner, Los Angeles office (2008-2013)
- Co-chair of the firm's Media, Defamation & Privacy Law Practice
- Executive Committee (2008-2013)
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining the firm, Jeff was a partner in the intellectual property and entertainment practices for a national law firm in Los Angeles. He also served as Deputy Attorney General for the State of California.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Jeff is a Board of Advisors member and formerly served as outside counsel for the National Sports Marketing Network. He served as a moderator for the Loyola Entertainment Law Review publication, "Legal Implication of Podcasting."
Client ResourcesSports Law Scoreboard
Jeff is a dedicated sports fan and practicing attorney who highlights current news in sports and discusses the associated legal implications in the firm's Sports Law Scoreboard blog (http://sportslaw.foxrothschild.com/
Honors and Awards
• Named as one of the leading intellectual property, trademark, copyright & trade secrets attorneys in California, Chambers USA (2010, 2011 and 2012)
• Martindale-Hubbell "AV Preeminent" rated
• Included in a list of "Super Lawyers" in the field of Intellectual Property by Super Lawyers Magazine (Corporate Counsel Edition) (2009 and 2010)
• Included in a list of Los Angeles & San Francisco Daily Journal Top 10 Entertainment IP Lawyers (2008)
• Included in a list of Southern California "Super Lawyers" in the field of Intellectual Property (every year since 2003)
• Included in a list of "Angelenos to Know in Intellectual Property Law" by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2012)