Daniel A. Schnapp
Daniel’s trial practice focuses on all aspects of complex commercial, intellectual property and criminal litigation in federal and state courts as well as mediation and arbitration. He frequently represents corporate and individual clients in partnership and shareholder disputes as well as in intellectual property and trade secret disputes, including issues related to theft of trade secrets, seizure, false advertising, unfair competition, trademark and trade dress infringement, counterfeiting, cybersquatting and intellectual property and computer crimes. Daniel also defends clients in connection with prosecutions, investigations, and forfeiture actions commenced by the United States Attorney's Office, the Securities Exchange Commission and the Federal Trade Commission. Daniel’s commercial litigation experience includes representing directors and companies in litigation involving breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and violations of federal and state laws and regulations. In addition, Daniel has extensive experience litigating claims related to art theft and fraud in the sale of fine art.
Daniel's representative litigation experience includes:
Lead trial counsel to two former Marines in a trial before the United States District Court, S.D.N.Y. in defense of allegations of unfair competition, trademark and trade dress infringement, theft of trade secrets, and copyright infringement; obtained dismissal of 11 of 12 counts, and order finding that adversaries violated the Stored Communications Act arising out of computer hacking;
- Lead trial counsel to apparel manufacturer in a matter before the United States Bankruptcy Court, S.D.N.Y. in defense of allegations of misappropriation of corporate assets, trial resulted in dismissal of all counts;
- Lead trial counsel to company in a matter before the United States District Court, S.D.N.Y. arising out of an oil barge collision, trial resulted in a $1.8 million dollar judgment in favor of client;
- Second chair trial counsel to investment bank in a FINRA arbitration in matter alleging breach of contract and unjust enrichment regarding investment banking advisory fee;
- Defended investment bank in SEC investigation into process of valuing and marketing collateralized debt obligation in connection with sub-prime mortgage loans;
- Defended broadband wireless company in SEC investigation into alleged misrepresentations contained in registration statement issued in connection with a planned IPO;
- Defended company in action brought by United State Attorney’s Office and Drug Enforcement Administration seeking seizure of monies used in money laundering and narcotics trafficking;
- Representation of witness in investigation by the US Attorney’s Office and FBI into art theft at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum;
- Defended art dealer in criminal case brought by United State Attorney’s Office concerning allegations of the sale of over 500 forged artworks;
- Defended criminal prosecution alleging violation of New York computer crime statute; case resulted in declination of prosecution against client;
- Successfully shut down infringing website on behalf of jewelry manufacturer;
- Successfully obtained decision of first impression in the United States District Court, S.D.N.Y concerning attachment and directing turnover of assets held by international bank.
Before Fox RothschildDaniel worked in the United States Attorney’s Office, E.D.N.Y. and the Securities Prosecutions and Special Litigation Bureaus of the New York State Attorney General’s Office during law school. Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Daniel was associated with two prominent New York City law firms.
Beyond Fox RothschildDaniel is a member of the Federal Courts Committee of the City Bar Association of New York and has litigated several matters for the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.
Art Law Blog
Daniel shares his knowledge of art litigation and finance in the firm's Art Law Blog, which covers such topics as art recovery, art preservation, art as collateral and valuation of art as well as recent trends in the art market.
Trademark Watch Blog
Keep up to date on the latest developments in the law of anti-counterfeiting, trademark and copyright infringement, false advertising and related areas with our experienced team of litigators, and learn how to protect, enforce and defend your company’s identity and brand.
Primer on Government and Internal Investigations
Download Full e-Book (pdf file)