Eric S. Solotoff
Eric serves as co-chair of the firm's Family Law Practice and is a member of the firm's Litigation Department. He is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney and is a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Attorneys. Throughout his career, Eric's practice has focused on family law litigation and related matters, such as:
- Litigation, mediation and arbitration of family law matters
- Matrimonial actions, including complex matters involving valuation issues and high conflict matters
- Custody and Parenting Time
- Alimony and child support
- Equitable distribution
- Appellate practice in family law matters
- Grandparent visitation
- Domestic violence
- Negotiation and preparation of prenuptial, postnuptial, and cohabitation agreements
- Negotiation and preparation of property settlement agreements
- Enforcement and modification of agreements, orders, and judgments
- Rights of cohabitants and palimony matters
Eric's reported cases include:
- Crews v. Crews, 164 N.J. 11 (2000) (standard of living as it relates to alimony)
- Moriarty v. Bradt, 177 N.J. 84 (2003) (grandparent visitation)
- Wilde v. Wilde, 337 N.J. Super. 1 (App. Div. 2001) (grandparent visitation)
- Brawer v. Brawer, 329 N.J. Super. 273 (App. Div. 2000) (the enforceability of an oral settlement agreement)
- Eaton v. Grau, 368 N.J. Super. 215 (App. Div. 2004) ("hold harmless" provision in parties' property settlement agreement did not require ex-husband to remove ex-wife's name from the mortgage)
- Parish v. Parish, 412 N.J. Super. 39 (App. Div. 2010) (establishes new rules and procedures before judge can impose conditions upon filing motions in a family part case)
- Maeker v. Ross, 430 N.J. Super. 73 (App. Div. s2013) (landmark palimony case that precluded palimony cases from being brought unless the agreement was in writing, even if the oral promise or relationship predated the palimony amendment to the statute of frauds)
Before Fox Rothschild
Eric was previously a partner at Donahue, Hagan, Klein, Newsome & O'Donnell, P.C. handling matrimonial law matters.
Beyond Fox RothschildEric was appointed by the Supreme Court of New Jersey to the District XB Ethics Committee and served as the chair from September 2010 through August 2011.
New Jersey Divorce App
For those simply contemplating separation or already in the midst of divorce proceedings in the Garden State, the useful tools included in Fox’s New Jersey Divorce App can answer questions, offer insight into aspects of the divorce process that may have been overlooked and provide users with resources they may not have known were available.
The app is currently available for free in the iTunes Store. To download it, click here.
New Jersey Family Legal Blog
Eric is the editor and also regularly contributes to the New Jersey Family Legal Blog (http://njfamilylaw.foxrothschild.com/). This blog provides practical information and useful tips related to such topics as alimony, child support, custody, parenting time, divorce, equitable distribution, prenuptial agreements, domestic violence, and grandparent visitation. This blog is an excellent resource for individuals with New Jersey specific family law questions and advisors whose clients may encounter family law issues.
Podcast: The Madoff Mess Hits Divorce Court
Eric S. Solotoff was featured in a Forensic Perspective Podcast, a production of MSG Accountants, Consultants & Business Valuators. Eric discussed the decision issued by Acting New York State Supreme Court Justice Saralee Evans in the case of Simkin v. Blank, in which Mr. Simkin sought to reform his divorce agreement with his former wife because he was one of the many victims of the Bernard Madoff ponzi scheme. Ultimately, Justice Evans dismissed the complaint in its entirety. Eric discussed how the Madoff case may impact other matrimonial outcomes.
Listen to the Podcast
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney
- Selected for Fellowship in the American Academy of Matrimonial Attorneys
- Selected for Fellowship in the Litigation Counsel of America
- Selected for inclusion in "10 Leaders in Matrimonial and Divorce Law in Northern New Jersey" (2008)
- Selected as a "Super Lawyer" in Family Law by New Jersey Monthly Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2007-2014)
- Selected as a "Super Lawyer Rising Star" in Family Law by New Jersey Monthly Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2006)
- Selected for inclusion in "10 Leaders in Family Law in New Jersey Under the Age of 45" (2004)
- Selected as a "10 Under 40" of Family and Matrimonial Law Attorneys (2003)