Lisa A. Karczewski
Los Angeles, CA
Lisa has more than a decade of experience representing clients in patent prosecution and intellectual property transactional and litigation matters. She routinely, and successfully, prepares and prosecutes utility and design patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in the technical areas of aerospace, biomedical, energy, materials science, mechanical and polymer chemistry. Lisa also successfully litigates intellectual property cases in the federal courts and before various federal agencies, including the International Trade Commission (Section 337) and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Among the patent applications Lisa has handled are:
- Stent with Non-Linear Links and Method of Use, U.S. Patent No. 6,635,083
- Hybrid Intravascular Stent, U.S. Patent No. 6,866,805
- Multilayer Stent, U.S. Patent No. 6,623,520
- Platelet Inhibitor Eluting Ablation Catheter, U.S. Patent No. 6,755,824
- Drug-Eluting Stent and Delivery System with Tapered Stent in Shoulder Region, U.S. Patent No. 7,156,869
- Joint Support and Subchondral Support System, Publication Application No. US 20100145451
- Process for Treating Bituminous Coal by Removing Volatile Components, Publication Application No. US 20110011719
- Process for Treating Agglomerating Coal by Removing Volatile Components, Publication Application No. US 20110011720
- Process for Treating Coal by Removing Volatile Components, Publication Application No. US 20110011722
Other representative matters Lisa has handled include:
- Amini Innovation Corp. v. Anthony California, Inc., et al., 2007-1182 (Fed. Cir. 2007).
- Successfully represented East West Bank before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in cancelling the registered mark BRIDGELOAN.COM. East WestBank v. BridgeLoan Investors, Inc., Cancellation No. 92047561 (TTAB 2008).
- Successfully represented Otto International, Inc. before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in sustaining the client’s opposition of applicant’s OTTO KERN and design mark before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Otto International, Inc. v. Otto Kern GmbH, Opposition No. 91170126 (TTAB 2009). Opposing Counsel: Alston & Bird, LLP.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining the firm, Lisa was a partner with the Chan Law Group LLP. She is a former law clerk in the Office of Patents & New Technology at the California Institute of Technology NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory. While in law school, she served as managing editor and staff writer of the McGeorge Law Review.
Prior to her practice of law, Lisa was a research assistant at the William Beaumont Hospital Research Institute and a medical research technician at the Tulane University School of Medicine Endocrine Polypeptide & Cancer Institute at Tulane University Medical Center.
Art Law Blog
Lisa shares her knowledge of art litigation and finance in the firm's Art Law Blog, which covers such topics as art recovery, art preservation, art as collateral and valuation of art as well as recent trends in the art market.
Honors and AwardsListed in Marquis Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who of American Women and Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders