Namal is a member of the firm's Labor & Employment Department. She focuses her practice in labor and employment matters, including advising clients and litigating in areas such as:
- Discrimination and harassment
- Wage and hour
- Wrongful termination
- Employment contracts
- Tort claims
Namal’s recent representative matters include:
- On behalf of a large West Coast limousine company, won a motion to compel arbitration and decertify a class, reducing client's potential damages significantly from approximately $5 million to $2,000
- Successfully defeated certification of a class of 150,000 potential plaintiffs, saving the client over $600 million in damages
- Gained a significant victory by defeating class certification, and saving millions in damages, on behalf of a large beverage company
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a national transportation company in an age discrimination suit which resulted in the published opinion Reeves v. MC Transportation, Inc. (2010 186 Cal.App.4th 666)
- Obtained judgment on behalf of a national telecommunications company sued by a former employee claiming race discrimination and wrongful termination
- Settled a case favorably on behalf of one of the nation’s largest pharmaceutical companies in a wage and hour and sexual orientation discrimination action
- Settled a case favorably on behalf of a national manufacturer in which a former employee claimed age discrimination and wrongful termination after a department layoff
- Obtained judgment on behalf of a national corporation accused of disability discrimination and harassment
Before Fox Rothschild
Before joining the firm, Namal was an associate with Lafayette & Kumagai LLP, a boutique employment litigation firm in San Francisco, where she represented Fortune 500 companies and public entities in various employment and business litigation matters.
While in law school, Namal clerked at Barger & Wolen LLP, a large firm in Los Angeles, where she represented Fortune 500 companies in commercial litigation, and Lozano Smith LLP, where she represented public entities including public schools. She also taught free family law clinics to pro per clients as a law clerk for the Office of Family Law Facilitators at the Alameda Superior Court in Oakland. Prior to that, she assisted low income clients with filing family law actions as a law clerk for the Harriet Buhai Center for Family Law in Los Angeles.
While attending law school, Namal was the Solicitations Editor for the Asian Law Journal, the treasurer of Boalt Hall’s South Asian Law Student’s Association, and the West Coast Delegate for the Nation South Asian Law Student’s Association.
As an undergraduate, Namal was the Recruitment Coordinator for the Cal Pre-Law Association and Founder of the Sri Lankan Student’s Association. She also interned at the Los Angeles County’s Bar Association’s Domestic Violence Project, where she aided hundreds of individuals to obtain restraining orders and combat domestic violence.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Namal is a member of the board of directors of Futureland Montessori School, Inc., where she assists with legal recommendations, business decisions and other matters. She is also an avid traveler and has been to more 25 countries on five continents.
Doing Business in California: A Guide for the Out-of-State Employer (pdf file)