Elizabeth G. Litten
Elizabeth has been a health law attorney for more than 20 years, with a focus on New Jersey regulatory issues. Named as one of the leading health care attorneys in New Jersey by Chambers USA, she has broad experience with:
- Representing New Jersey hospitals, physicians, ambulatory care facilities and other New Jersey-licensed providers and payers on a wide spectrum of managed care, certificate of need, licensing, reimbursement and compliance issues; and
- Counseling clients on federal health care issues including Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement and compliance with Anti-Kickback and Stark laws and regulations.
Elizabeth serves as co-chair of the firm's Government Relations Practice and has been a registered lobbyist in New Jersey for more than 15 years. Throughout her career, she has worked closely with the executive and legislative branches of both parties and with health care leaders throughout New Jersey drafting and advocating health care regulations and legislation affecting the state’s providers, payers and consumers, as well as its health care payment and delivery system. Elizabeth also has experience navigating election law (ELEC) requirements and helping clients avoid "pay to play" and political contributions violations.
Elizabeth lends her knowledge to the firm's Health Care Reform Working Group, which is designed to help clients sort through the myriad of issues and changes stemming from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010.
Before Fox Rothschild
Having focused exclusively on health care issues for the entirety of her practice, Elizabeth chaired the health care department at another New Jersey–area firm for 7 years.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Active in the public/private sector, Elizabeth’s experience includes service on:
- the Health Care Transition Committee for former Governor James McGreevey
- the Health Care Quality Act Advisory Committee and the Health Maintenance Organization Advisory Committee, working with the Department of Health and Senior Services to recommend large-scale regulatory changes
- the 2012 Governor's Conference for Women Steering Committee
Elizabeth served on the Board of Directors of the New Jersey Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) and currently serves as Editor of The Garden State FOCUS, its bimonthly news magazine circulated to more than 1,200 hospital and health care industry executives and professionals throughout New Jersey. Elizabeth took the lead in drafting the Chapter's comments to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services' proposed "meaningful use" comments, and is a frequent speaker and commentator on legal issues related to the use of health information technology. She also serves on the executive committee for the Association of Corporate Wellness.
Elizabeth serves on the Advisory Board of CareKinesis, Inc., an organization that provides state-of-the-art medication management through a combination of technology, science and services that reduces costs, improves the quality of care and decreases the risks associated with ineffective medication plans.
Additionally, she serves as a Health Law Advisor for the American Law Institute. In her role she helps to direct educational programs for lawyers by introducing new topics, trends, products and participants to the group’s educational efforts.
Client ResourcesHIPAA, HITECH & HIT Blog
Co-chair of the firm's Multi-Disciplinary Privacy and Security Committee, Elizabeth contributes to a blog (http://hipaahealthlaw.foxrothschild.com/
) that provides information regarding cutting-edge legal and practical developments that health care providers and businesses must consider with regard to the handling and sharing of health information, including through the use of electronic health records.
Honors and Awards
• Named as one of the leading health care attorneys in New Jersey, Chambers USA
• Recipient of the "Annual President’s Award" by the New Jersey Chapter of the HFMA (2010)
• Selected as a "Super Lawyer -- Health Care" by New Jersey Monthly Magazine
and Law & Politics Magazine
(2007 and 2010-2012)
• Selected as a "Top Health Care Lawyer" by South Jersey Magazine
• Recipient of the Lloyd M. Felmly Award from the New Jersey Public Health Association for outstanding contribution in the media to the cause of public health in New Jersey (2006)
• Selected by the New Jersey Law Journal
as one of its “40 Under 40” distinguished business and community leaders (2004)