Eric E. Reed
As a member of the firm’s Litigation, White Collar Compliance and Defense and Securities Industry practice groups, Eric represents businesses and individuals in a wide range of business-related disputes as well as administrative and criminal compliance matters.
Representative matters Eric has handled include:
- Won a defense award for an investment adviser and broker-dealer in a securities arbitration.
- Prevailed in litigation over the interpretation of a prohibited-use provision in a commercial lease on behalf of a national retailer.
- Secured emergency appointments of receivers for commercial and high-density residential properties on behalf of a local bank.
- Prevailed in a series of appeals to the district court and Third Circuit Court of Appeals in multiple bankruptcy proceedings on behalf of a Chapter 7 trustee.
- Defended a manufacturer of automotive decals in multiple injunction proceedings and other contract disputes.
- Defended an individual investor in a Bernard Madoff “feeder fund” against clawback claims brought by the Madoff trustee.
- Successfully enforced a contractual arbitration and venue selection provision on behalf of a credit and debit card transaction processor.
- Represented the former director of a failed bank against mismanagement claims asserted by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- Represented a defendant in the appeal of her criminal sentence for public corruption offenses.
- Defended a national bank against alleged violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Represented an investment fund in an involuntary bankruptcy proceeding.
- Defended a manufacturer of industrial conveying equipment against warranty and product defect claims.
- Represented a patent holder and manufacturer in a patent infringement suit.
- Defended a transportation company in a multi-injury accident case.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in prosecuting trade secret misappropriation claims arising from the unauthorized publication of its manufacturing process.
- Defended an automotive manufacturer against breach of contact and confidential information/trade secret misappropriation claims.
- Defended an automotive supplier against horizontal market allocation claims under Section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act.
- Represented an automotive manufacturer in prosecuting breach of contract, fraud and negligence claims against its energy services provider for implementing a derivatives-based hedging strategy that resulted in tens of millions of dollars in losses.
Representative "Published" Opinions
- United States v. Fumo, 655 F.3d 288 (3d Cir. 2011)(Addressing district court's discretion to vary from federal sentencing guidelines)
- Bond v. United States, 131 S.Ct. 2355 (2011)(Criminal defendant has standing to challenge the statute of conviction under the Tenth Amendment)
- Vinton v. First Data Merchant Services, 2011 WL 776135 (W.D.Mich. March 1, 2011)(Adopting magistrate's recommendation to dismiss claims under the federal Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act and the Michigan Identity Theft Protection Act)
- Yellowbird Bus Co., Inc. v. Lexington Ins. Co., 2010 WL 2766987 (E.D.Pa. July 12, 2010)(Addressing interpretation of an excess policy of insurance)
- Novatec, Inc. v. Conair Group, Inc., 2010 WL 427761 (E.D.Pa. Feb. 2, 2010)(Upholding venue in a patent infringement action)
- Connor v. Springel (In re Innovative Comm. Co., Inc.), 2009 WL 1204485 (D.V.I. April 29, 2009)(Dismissing appeal in bankruptcy adversary proceeding)
- Catanzareti v. Pizzo, 400 B.R 145 (Bankr. D.N.J. 2009)(Real estate development dispute)
- Carroll v. Prosser (In re Prosser), 2008 WL 2845662 (D.V.I. July 18, 2008)(Denying motion to remove automatic reference of adversary proceeding to bankruptcy court)
- Hesco Parts, LLC v. Ford Motor Co., 2006 WL 2734429 (W.D.Ky. Sept. 22, 2006)(Granting summary judgment on Section 1 Sherman Act claim)
- DaimlerChrysler Motors Company, LLC v. Bill Davis Racing, Inc., 408 F.Supp.2d 337 (E.D.Mich. 2005)(Addressing confidentiality obligations of a motorsport racing development agreement)
- Ducharme v. A&S RV Center, Inc., 321 F.Supp.2d 843 (E.D.Mich. 2004)(Enforcing disclaimer of warranties in motor home purchase agreement)
Before Fox Rothschild
Eric previously practiced with Foley & Lardner LLP and Clark Hill PLC in Detroit, Michigan, where he handled a variety of business litigation disputes.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Eric volunteers his legal services to the Committee of Seventy's election oversight efforts, and provides pro bono representation to military veterans seeking benefits. Additionally, Eric serves as a “Big” in the Big Brothers/ Big Sisters “Beyond School Walls” program.
Securities Compliance Sentinel Blog
The highly regulated securities and financial industry has a host of complex problems—and financial institutions often find themselves on the receiving end of audits, investigations and other compliance issues. Our seasoned securities attorneys have the knowledge and experience to address cutting edge industry issues. Join them in their exploration of this increasingly complex area.
Primer on Government and Internal Investigations
Download Full e-Book (pdf file)
Risk Avoidance Techniques for Financial Advisors
Webinar: Practical Risk Management for Financial Advisors and Supervisors
This practical webinar is designed for executives responsible for monitoring, measuring and controlling risks. Whether you must deal with or are a regulator, board member or senior management, this presentation highlights best practices.
• Download the Presentation (PDF File)
Honors and Awards
- Included in the list of SuperLawyers (2013)