Mark G. McCreary
Mark focuses a segment of his practice on compliance with privacy-related laws, rules and regulations (domestic and international), as well as responses in the event of a data breach. Because of the incredibly wide range of applicable laws, rules and regulations, Mark understands that advising on privacy-related issues is not an area of law that should be practiced “on the side,” and diligently stays up-to-date on this ever-changing field. Mark prepares privacy policies (both intra-company and for customers), handles privacy issues under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and related requirements for the privacy of consumer financial information (including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)), prepares data security plans and assists with data breach responses and notifications.
Mark’s Privacy Desk Reference can be downloaded at http://tinyurl.com/mccrearydeskref, or he will be happy to send you a copy for your Chief Privacy Officer upon request.
Mark also practices intellectual property and the law of the Internet. He prosecutes various intellectual property matters, negotiates transactions, and provides counsel on a wide range of technology-related matters including:
- copyright application, analysis, protection, and enforcement
- trademark availability opinions, application preparation, and licensing
- patent licensing
- software licensing and digital data security protection
- Internet hosting, design agreements, and data-sharing agreements
- preparation and launch of Website e-commerce stores
- online transactions
- product and brand integration with operating systems and related advertising agreements
- administrative and federal domain name ownership challenge procedures involving the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) domain name dispute resolution procedure, the Federal Anti-Cybersquatting Act, and anti-cybersquatting claims in general
In addition, Mark practices general corporate and mergers and acquisitions law, which includes:
- drafting confidentiality policies, employment agreements and non-competition agreements
- analyzing the exposure of prospects in potential acquisitions
- providing advice on venture capital offerings and securities filings
Mark also works on issues concerning:
- bankruptcy law and financial transactions, representing secured and unsecured creditors and focusing on debtors’ and creditors’ rights and trustees and creditors’ committees
- the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and related privacy protection of patient medical records
Among his leadership roles, Mark serves as the firm's Hiring Partner.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Mark writes for numerous legal and technology publications and is a frequent media source on these issues.
Client ResourcesPrivacy Compliance & Data Security Blog
Mark is an author of the firm's Privacy Compliance & Data Security Blog (http://dataprivacy.foxrothschild.com/
). This blog helps readers navigate through the policies and best practices of data breach response and covers topics such as compliance with data protection laws and regulatory enforcement and litigation as well.
Honors and Awards
• Included in the list of "Pennsylvania Rising Stars" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine
(2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010)