Tyreen G. Torner
Tyreen is a member of the firm's Labor & Employment Department. She advises and represents companies in a broad range of employment law matters including:
- Discrimination and harassment lawsuits
- Wage and hour litigation and counseling
- Class actions
- Contract and wrongful termination claims
- Administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), and the California Labor Commissioner (DLSE)
- Appeals of California Labor Commissioner decisions
- Writs and appeals in state and federal courts
- Disability accommodations and the interactive process
- Leaves of absence
- Drafting and defending arbitration agreements
- Workplace investigations
- Drafting personnel policies and handbooks
- Compliance with the San Francisco Health Care Security Ordinance
- Workplace restraining orders
Tyreen's representative successes include:
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer and defeated plaintiff’s appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, in case raising claims for breach of contract, wrongful termination, race discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer accused of sex and race discrimination, retaliation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer accused of wrongfully denying medical leave, retaliation and harassment.
- Successfully represented numerous employers at hearings before the California Labor Commissioner, resulting in dismissal of claims for unpaid wages.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for employer accused of disability discrimination in mediation with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- Successfully represented employers before the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), the EEOC, and other state civil rights agencies, resulting in dismissal of claims for discrimination and harassment.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Tyreen was an associate at a boutique employment litigation firm in San Francisco, and clerked at Bay Area Legal Aid and Protection and Advocacy, Inc. She also worked as an admission counselor for Smith College.
While at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, Tyreen served as the Managing Editor of the Berkeley La Raza Law Journal and received the Advocacy Award. As an undergraduate, she participated in international study programs in India and Spain.
Beyond Fox RothschildAs a member of the Smith College Network of Alumnae Admission Committee (NAAC), Tyreen coordinates alumnae recruitment of Latina students. She also serves as the Alumnae Admission Coordinator for the Smith College Club of the East Bay. In addition, Tyreen is a member of the California Minority Counsel Program’s Programming Committee.
Client Resourcese-BookDoing Business in California: A Guide for the Out-of-State Employer