Bill concentrates his practice on employment litigation and providing business people with candid and practical advice on complex employee problems, including highly sensitive whistleblower, discrimination and harassment claims, asset misappropriation and unfair competition from former (and sometimes current) employees. He has deep knowledge and experience in the preparation and enforcement of intellectual property, confidential information, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements.
Bill is an experienced investigator of workplace issues and has a particular interest in and passion for investigating and prosecuting cases involving employee fraud, theft, embezzlement, regulatory non-compliance, discrimination and unlawful harassment. He also provides day-to-day counseling on a full range of labor and employment compliance issues arising under state and federal statutes, regulations, and orders, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN Act), the False Claims Act and other whistleblower laws, anti-retaliations statutes and non-discrimination statutes and regulations.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Bill was a partner at Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly and Rider Bennett Egan & Arundel. Between those endeavors, he was the sole proprietor of William J. Egan, PLC, where he primarily represented individuals in employment–related matters.
During and after law school, Bill clerked for three judges: then-Chief Judge Donald P. Lay of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit (1986-87), Chief Justice Douglas K. Amdahl of the Minnesota Supreme Court (1985-86) and Judge Robert G. Schiefelbein, Hennepin County District Court (1984-85).
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Bill has held a leadership positions in several nonprofits organizations, including:
- The Minnesota Board on Judicial Standards (2006 to 2014)
- Chair (2011-12)
- Vice Chair (2009-2010) (gubernatorial appointment)
- The Alzheimer’s Association of Minnesota-North Dakota Board of Directors, (2007-2013)
- Chair and Treasurer, Finance Committee of the Compliance Officer (2009-2013)
- Chair, Investment Committee (2010-2013)
- Governance Committee (2009-2013)
- Strategic Planning Committee (2012)
- Compensation Committee (2009-2013)
- Audit Committee (2011-2013)
- The Archdiocesan Finance Council, Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis (1985-1995)
- Chair (1992-93)
- Allocations Committee Chair (1990-92)
- Community Services Sub-Committee (1985-1988)
- The Our Lady of Grace Catholic School Board (1996-1999)
- Chair (1997-1999)
- The Archdiocesan Investment Advisory Council, Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis (1995-2012)
Honors & Awards
- William Mitchell College of Law Alumni Association Award of Merit (1985)
- Included in a list of “Minnesota’s Top Rated Lawyers” (2014)