Brad has an international practice and represents private and public companies, partnerships and funds — including real estate investment trusts, other real estate entities, entrepreneurial businesses and private equity funds — in a variety of U.S.-based domestic and Asian-based cross-border capital markets transactions.
His practice centers on raising capital in both private offerings and through initial public offerings, secondary offerings of debt and equity and through taxable or tax-exempt bonds issued by governmental agencies.
Brad also advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, including roll-up transactions and real estate portfolio acquisitions and dispositions. He represents underwriters in connection with capital markets transactions, including initial public offerings and secondary offerings of debt and equity.
He regularly represents boards of directors and special committees in a variety of board-related issues. Brad also represents national governments and government agencies in a variety of matters, including capital raising, urban redevelopment, legislative drafting, policy formulation regarding capital formation and economic development.
* Admitted to practice only in Missouri.
- Advised the Asia Pacific Real Estate Association (APREA) in connection with its entering into a collaboration agreement with Cambridge Associates, LLC, Cambridge, MA (USA).
- Represented LB Resources in connection with joint mine operating and China distribution agreements in the Republic of the Philippines (iron ore) and Indonesia (coal).
- Counseled the Legislative Committee of the Adoption of a Real Estate Investment Trust Scheme in the Republic of the Philippines.
- Advised the Peoples Bank of China (PBOC) and the Asian Development Bank on the Adoption of an asset-backed securitization scheme in the People’s Republic of China.
- Represented the Chairman of the Real Estate and Finance Program of Peking University’s School of Law on the adoption of a REIT scheme in the People’s Republic of China.
- Counseled Limitless/Dubai World to recapitalize Asian portfolio.
- Advised Thermoflor, BV, of Netherlands in its efforts to build a chain of European-styled garden centers in the People’s Republic of China.
- Represented Subic Neocove Corpration, a subsidiary of the Heung-A Property Group of Korea, in the development and financing of its 500-hectare resort development project in Subic Bay, Philippines.
- Counseled Iho Land, a Korean developer, in connection with its $250 million USD financing of a resort development on Jeju Island, Korea.
- Advised Jones Lang LaSalle China in connection with the negotiation, drafting and execution of a joint cooperation agreement with Shanghai International Tendering Company, Ltd. to arrange for the financing by Chinese State Owned Enterprises and other PRC-based financing sources of onshore and offshore real estate development projects owned by foreign development companies.
- Advised numerous publicly traded REITs in connection with formation transactions, IPOs, secondary offerings of equity, debt securities and hybrid derivative instruments and public merger transactions, requiring more than 170 separate filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the largest single-paper filing in the SEC’s history.
- Counseled the Governor of North Carolina in connection with the state’s contested takeover of the North Carolina Railroad Company (NCRR) from its private shareholders. More than 165 years old, the NCRR was one of the oldest continuously operating railroads in the United States, having been created in 1848 through a public-private venture between the state government and citizens.
- Represented the state of North Carolina and a consortium of banks to negotiate the relocation to Raleigh, NC of the National Hockey League Hartford Whalers (now the Carolina Hurricanes) and to structure the financing needed to build a state-of-the-art 23,000-seat sports arena.
- Advised numerous county, municipal, city and state governments (and their agencies and affiliates) or businesses involved in transactions with governmental entities on a wide variety of transactions and matters, including serving as bond counsel or issuer’s counsel on numerous tax-exempt revenue bonds, general obligation bonds and taxable bonds used to finance nuclear power plants, urban redevelopment projects, governmental buildings, port facilities, manufacturing plants and hospitals.
- Represented Bank of America in connection with the bank’s issuance of a loan and credit facility to the TPC Network, an affiliate of the PGA Tour, to refinance the TPC’s entire portfolio of championship golf course properties.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Brad was an attorney at a national law firm.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Brad is a frequent author and speaker on topics relating to cross-border finance, REITs, innovative financing structures and mergers and acquisitions. He has served as an adjunct professor at Harvard University, Tsinghua University and the University of Texas and has spoken at conferences throughout the United States and around the world, including Australia, Hong Kong, the People’s Republic of China, the Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, the United Kingdom and Vietnam.
Honors & Awards
- Included in a list of "Best Lawyers in America," Best Lawyers (2009, 2017)
- Included in “Who’s Who in the World” (2014)
- Named as a leading lawyer in California in Real Estate Investment Trusts in Chambers USA (2009)
- Named as one of the world's leading lawyers in Real Estate Investment Trusts in Chambers Global (2009)
- Included in a list of “Leading Lawyers in Real Estate Investment Trusts” Legal 500 (2009)
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell