Carolyn is co-chair of the firm’s Hospitality Practice Group and former co-chair of the Labor and Employment Department. Her practice largely consists of representing and counseling employers in the hospitality industry, specifically restaurants, hotels, caterers, night clubs, lounges and fitness centers. In particular, Carolyn has extensive experience litigating wage and hour class actions, restrictive covenants and employment discrimination cases. She also counsels clients extensively with respect to workplace issues such as the hiring process, diversity awareness training, union avoidance, employee handbooks and other policy initiatives.
Carolyn is also counsel to a number of employers in the retail, financial services, healthcare and manufacturing industries. She frequently provides union avoidance and sexual harassment training, and represents employers before a variety of state and federal agencies.
Before Fox Rothschild
Carolyn also served as General Counsel to B.R. Guest Restaurants & James Hotels, where she was responsible for the legal and business affairs for both expanding restaurant operations and the development of James Hotel properties. This experience gave Carolyn an insider's perspective into both the business and legal needs of her clients.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Carolyn is a prolific writer and often is a guest speaker at legal conferences and industry events on various labor and employment-related topics. She is active in the community with several board appointments and memberships including:
- Member of the Advisory Board for the Cornell Institute for Hospitality Labor and Employment Relations at Cornell University
- Member of the President's Council of Cornell Women at Cornell University
- Member of the Dean's Advisory Council and the Alumni Board of Directors for Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations
- Member of the Advisory Board for the Center for Hospitality Research at Cornell University
- Serves on the Board of Editorial Advisors for Hospitality Law
- Serves as Counsel to the New York City Hospitality Alliance
- Serves on Culintro's Culinary Trade Organization's Board of Advisors
Carolyn is also involved with the PENCIL Partnership, and is teamed with a New York City charter school to help link the business community with the students. Carolyn has testified before the New York City Council and New York State Department of Labor concerning proposed changes to the law that would adversely affect New York businesses.
Restaurant Law Update
Lately, the food service industry has been under increasing scrutiny from government, plaintiff groups and social justice groups. In this podcast, Carolyn discusses current issues in employment law affecting food service operators.
Listen to the Podcast
Honors & Awards
- Named in a list of Top Women in Metro New York Foodservice & Hospitality by TFS-Total Food Service (2017, 2015)
- Included in the list of “Super Lawyers” by New York Super Lawyers and Law & Politics Magazine (2014-2016)
- Included in a list of "Women’s Super Lawyers" in the New York Women’s Edition of Super Lawyers Magazine (2016)
- Selected as one of Crain's Forty Under 40 class of 2009, honoring a diverse group of New Yorkers who have excelled in their respective fields
- Law Review Outstanding Service Award, New York Law School
- American Jurisprudence Award, New York Law School