Craig is a skilled international litigator who handles complex business disputes involving intellectual property, licenses, business torts and insolvency issues. He focuses on franchise companies’ development and expansion. He has represented individuals, companies and governments in litigation before state and federal courts and in international arbitration forums such as AAA, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
His practice centers on developing and protecting the financial and brand equity of franchise companies, real estate projects and energy projects. For franchise companies, he regularly structures new franchise programs, many of which are international. He also defends and enforces franchise agreements. He has also served as special counsel to franchise companies.
Craig has successfully prosecuted several injunctions against unfair competition and trademark infringement in federal courts. He also has more than 30 years of experience defending franchise companies against claims by franchisees for fraud and business torts.
Craig obtained a favorable jury trial verdict in a complex fraud scheme. After the jury trial success, related cases were mediated into settlements totaling several millions of dollars.
Craig has prosecuted or defended fraud, defamation and unfair competition cases and also enforces and defended trade secrets and restrictive covenants in state and federal courts.
In international work, Craig successfully defended the Republic of Turkey against an investor claim before the International Centre for Resolution of Investor Disputes in Paris. This followed the successful defense of the Republic of Turkey before the International Chamber of Commerce Court of Arbitration in Geneva. He also successfully represented a claimant U.S. company in an intellectual property licensor’s claim brought against a Brazilian licensee before the ICDR. He has also taken U.S. franchises overseas.
- Secured judgment against franchisee for lost future royalties and defeated RICO counterclaims.
- Represented licensor of brand, patents and equipment to Brazilian entity before the International Center for Dispute Resolution.
- Defended governmental real estate investment trust entity before International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes in Paris.
- Represented the Republic of Turkey, Ministry of Energy, before the International Chamber of Commerce in Geneva, Switzerland in a power plant case.
- Developed new franchise program for iconic brand.
- Represented the Ground Round restaurant system in a hostile acquisition by 60 franchisees.
- Represented KnowledgePoints education system in an amicable acquisition by 30 franchisees.
- Provided bankruptcy advice for U.K.-based law firm acquiring German offices of a U.S.-based law firm.
- Defended manufacturer against scaffold collapse.
- Defended successor liability in toxic tort cases.
- School of Rock v. Smith (3d. Cir.) - Represented School of Rock in affirming arbitration award appeal for franchise breach and trade secret violations, awarding damages, injunctive relief and counsel fees.
- School of Rock v. Rock Nation LLC (Cal. Super. Ct.) - Represented School of Rock in confirming arbitration award granting injunctive relief, damages, and counsel fees for unfair competition and cybersquatting.
- Keepers of Eden v. Historical Media (S.D.N.Y.) - Represented the plaintiff in confirming arbitration award with counsel fees in motion picture distribution dispute.
- Philips Services Corp. v. Luntz (D. Del.) - Represented Luntz in successful defense of preference action and asserted $1 billion fraudulent conveyance defense.
- Lakes Gas Co v. Fencl Oil & L.P. Co., Inc., et al. (N.D.Iowa) - Secured a unanimous $2.7 million jury verdict in contract action involving propane distribution on behalf of Lakes Gas Company.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Craig was a partner at an international law firm.
Honors & Awards
- Named among “The Best Lawyers in America” for Franchise Law in New York (2009 – 2017)
- Named New York “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in Franchise Law (2012)
- Named as one of the leading Franchise attorneys in the U.S. by Chambers USA (2017)
- Named as one of the leading Franchise attorneys in New York by Chambers USA (2016)
- Named to "Super Lawyers" (2016-2017)
- Named among the International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers
- Recognized as a “Legal Eagle” by Franchise Times (2005-2017)
- Inducted into the “Legal Eagles Hall of Fame” by Franchise Times (2013)