Darrell serves as the chair of the Entertainment Law Department and Managing Partner of the firm’s Los Angeles office. A prominent entertainment lawyer with more than 20 years’ experience in entertainment law, Darrell focuses his practice on transactional law with an emphasis on the motion picture, television, music, theatre and multimedia industries. As a testament to his effective brand-building strategies, Darrell was named to The Hollywood Reporter’s list of Power Attorneys for 2016. The influential list noted Darrell’s work with some of Hollywood’s leading talent.
Darrell has aided and assisted clients in all areas of entertainment law, including:
- motion pictures
- new media
- live-stage production
- literary property
- licensing agreements
- collaboration agreements
- intellectual property
- literary book publishing
- executive employment agreements
- development agreements
- productions agreements
- distribution agreements
As a former singer and performer, Darrell has a deep understanding of the creative talent he represents, as well as the knowledge and savvy of a seasoned entertainment attorney.
Darrell's clients include diverse and visionary individuals and entities, reflecting his commitment to developing multimedia opportunities within the convergent climate of today's entertainment industry. His commitment to providing superior personal service has resulted in long-standing relationships with studio executives and creative personnel, representation of actors, writers, directors and producers associated with a variety of television programs and motion pictures including “NCIS,” “Law & Order,” “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” “Entourage,” “In Plain Sight,” “Flash Forward,” “Friday Night Lights,” “Dancing with the Stars,” “Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Dance Crew,” Academy Award Winner “Crash,” “RocknRolla,” “Couples Retreat,” “Notorious,” “The Great Debaters,” “Max Payne,” "Jumping The Broom," "Think Like A Man," and "Green Lantern."
Before Fox Rothschild
Darrell launched his own private practice in 1996, where he served as production counsel on television, cable and film projects. The firm expanded to Miller & Pliakas LLP in 2001, in which Darrell was a partner and co-founder. Darrell began his legal career with the national law firm Lord Bissell and Brook, where his practice included litigation and general corporate law, representing domestic and international companies, business executives, entertainment production companies and performing artists.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Darrell served on the Cincinnati Children's Theatre Board of Directors and on the Air Force Entertainment Liaison Board. A jazz and classical music enthusiast, Darrell is a frequent panelist and guest moderator of discussions relating to both the talent and institutional aspects of entertainment law. Darrell’s book, The 16th Minute of Fame: An Insider's Guide for Maintaining Success Beyond 15 Minutes of Fame, was published in 2014, and subsequently led to Darrell’s nomination for the prestigious NAACP Image Award in the category of Outstanding Literary Work—Debut Author category.
Pay or Play
Authored by the attorneys in the firm’s Entertainment Department, this blog provides a legal perspective on the latest issues and trends affecting the entertainment industry, including digital content, multichannel networks, celebrity branding and artist and performer management as well as commentary on music law and media distribution law.
Honors & Awards
- “Recognized Practitioner” for Media & Entertainment: Transactions: Mainly Talent in California by Chambers USA (2018)
- Named among the “Most Influential Intellectual Property Attorneys” by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2017)
- Named among the Daily Journal's Top 100 Lawyers in California (2016)
- Named Entertainment Lawyer of the Year by Beverly Hills Bar Association (2016)
- Named among the “Most Influential Minority Lawyers” by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2016)
- Named to Daily Journal’s Top Entertainment Lawyers List (2015)
- Named to Savoy Magazine's Most Influential Black Lawyers List (2015)
- Named among the Top 100 Power Lawyers by The Hollywood Reporter (2013, 2016, 2017)
- Named to Variety Magazine's Legal Impact Report (2014-2017)
- Named to Variety Magazine’s Dealmakers Impact Report (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017)
- Consistently named among the Top 50 Showbiz Players by Black Enterprise Magazine
- Named to Southern California "Super Lawyers" (2014-2018)
- Named 2012 Entertainment Attorney of the Year by The National Bar Association
- Recipient of the Black, Cool and Brilliant Award by the Frasernet Power Networking Conference (2012)
- Named among the “Angelenos to Know in Intellectual Property Law” by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2012)
- Recipient of the Service in Entertainment Leadership Award by the Foundation for Second Chances (2011)
- Named to the Black Entertainment & Sports Lawyers Association Hall of Fame (2007)