At StakeJanuary 10, 2018 – Newsletters
Happy New Year! The Illinois Gaming Board (IGB) held its monthly meeting on January 9, 2018, in Chicago. If the meeting is any indication of changes to come, 2018 may turn out to be an interesting year for Video Gaming.
Although it started a little late, the Riverboat meeting ran expeditiously and included only brief opening comments from the Chairman in which the September 2018 meeting dates were changed to September 20 (closed session) and 21 (open session).
The meeting continued with the approval of the open session meeting minutes from last November and initial consideration was given to CQ Holding Company Inc. as 100% owner of Casino Queen in a refinancing transaction.
Final consideration and approval was granted to Midwest Gaming & Entertainment LLC d/b/a Rivers Casino and its transfer of individual ownership interest to a revocable trust for estate planning purposes, and to Paul P. Prezioso, former IGB attorney, as the Director of Compliance and a Level 1 occupational licensee for HC Aurora, LLC d/b/a Hollywood Casino Aurora and HC Joliet LLC d/b/a Hollywood Casino Joliet.
The Board continued by approving the supplier license renewals of AGS, LLC and Everi Payments Inc., as well as 84 Level 2 and 133 Level 3 occupational licenses. The Board issued notices of denial to three occupational license applicants.
Lastly, the Board issued three disciplinary complaints against former employees whose alleged misconduct at licensed casinos resulted in their termination. The casino names were not provided, nor were details pertaining to the alleged misconduct.
That concluded the brief Riverboat meeting.
The Video Gaming meeting began with the Chairman and Board Members declining to make opening comments, while the Administrator spoke only briefly to report that there are 6,367 live establishments operating 28,346 Video Gaming Terminals (VGTs).
Thereafter, Mr. Ivan Fernandez, Executive Director of Illinois Gaming Machine Operators Association (IGMOA), introduced himself to the Board during the public commentary section. In his address, Mr. Fernandez spoke briefly about the history of the IGMOA and about his own experience as the Director of Enforcement & Legal Counsel for the Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC). He stated that he is a strong proponent of the tiered regulatory system used by the IGB and the ILCC and that IGMOA is committed to maintaining the integrity of the gaming industry. Further, he stated he appreciated the assistance and willingness of the staff and the Administrator to help as he acclimates to the industry.
The meeting continued with the Board issuing initial licenses to 119 locations, 60 terminal handlers, one Terminal Operator (TO) and Royal Entertainment LLC. The Board tabled consideration of the TO application from Eureka Entertainment, LLC.
There were a number of license renewals granted this month. AGS, LLC and Illinois Rewards, Inc. were granted renewals of their respective Manufacturer, Distributor and/or Suppliers licenses, while the following 12 TOs were granted renewal of their TO licenses:
- Andy’s Video Gaming Co.
- Heck Gaming, LLC
- Illinois Gaming Systems, LLC
- Illinois Gold Rush, Inc.
- Illinois Video Slot Management Corp.
- J&J Ventures Gaming, LLC
- Jackpot Video Gaming Inc.
- JHey Enterprises, LLC
- Midwest SRO, LLC
- Quad Gaming, Inc.
- Sparrow Gaming, Inc.
- Springfield Gaming, LLC
Additional license renewals were given to terminal handler, technician and establishment licensees that were up for renewal, as well as to those who provided updated information to the IGB, timely paid their renewal fees and complied with all other requirements. Subsequently, the Board issued notices of non-renewal to the following 14 establishments:
- Bootleggers Pizza, Inc. d/b/a Bootlegger’s Pizza
- Porkchop of Glenwood LLC d/b/a Porkchop
- REG Ventures, Inc. d/b/a Maggie O’Neills Public House
- M & L Gaming of Midlothian Inc. d/b/a Gamers Saloon
- Alwans Place, LLC d/b/a The Cooler
- Forsno, L.L.C. d/b/a Pit Row Sports Bar & Grill
- C & D’s Silver Dollar Lounge, Inc. d/b/a C & D’s Silver Dollar Lounge
- John L’s II Inc. d/b/a John L’s II
- Café Bliss, Inc. d/b/a Café Bliss, Inc.
- B.K.H. Incorporated d/b/a Our Bar
- Doc’s Diner Inc. d/b/a Doc’s Diner
- Rick & Anita’s, Inc. d/b/a Rick & Anita’s
- Casale Pizza. Inc. d/b/a Casale Pizza
- IBPO Elks of the World, Capital City Lodge #1160 d/b/a Capital City Lodge #1160
The Board denied the applications of one TO applicant, Lucky Green Gaming, Inc., 14 terminal handlers/technicians and the following six establishments:
- Springfield Pub, Inc. d/b/a The Dublin Pub
- Taco Stan’s LLC d/b/a Jimbo’s BBQ and Brew
- Alfredo Serna d/b/a Dos Amigos 2
- Stephanie Lillig d/b/a Pioneer Smokehouse & Saloon
- Hirsch’s Tavern, Inc. d/b/a Ethels
- Pasavre, Inc. d/b/a Trattoria Za Za
While specific details for the TO application denials of the establishments or the handlers/technicians were not provided, it was stated that the reason for denying Lucky Green Gaming, Inc. was based on staff’s recommendation and the applicant’s failure to demonstrate suitability.
The Board received requests for hearings this month from the following locations and denied all 11 for allegedly failing to state a prima facie case:
- The Dead Tree Tavern, Inc. d/b/a The Dead Tree Tavern
- Ginance Inc. d/b/a Angelo O’Leary’s
- Craiginator Inc. d/b/a Pioneer Tap
- Short Stop Forest Park LLC d/b/a Short Stop
- Craiginator Inc. d/b/a Carole’s Next Best Thing (160704303)
- 7300 Circle Inc. d/b/a Circle Inn
- Schatze’s Sports Bar & Grill, Inc. d/b/a Schatze’s Bar & Grill (120712028)
- Jack’s or Better, Inc. d/b/a Jack’s or Better (120709527)
- Reprise Corp. d/b/a Nicolino’s Trackside (130705329)
- Gaggle Dining Corporation d/b/a Long Shots Pub (120712721)
- Sheila R. Snyder d/b/a The Uptown Saloon (130702807)
The Board received two requests to reapply this month. The request from Murad Restaurant, LLC d/b/a Mirah’s Restaurant was accepted while the request to reapply from Julia L. Reaves d/b/a Ed & Millies Tavern was denied as the request allegedly failed to address the reasons for the denial.
The Board issued the following disciplinary complaints against Video Gaming licensees:
- The Board is seeking to revoke the establishment license of Moon Beam’s Saloon, Inc. d/b/a Moon Beam’s Saloon due to alleged active tax liability, the closing of the location and the inability to reach the owner;
- The Board is seeking to revoke the establishment license of Randette Spiess d/b/a Izz Azz for an alleged active tax liability;
- The Board is seeking a $5,000 fine from 12 establishments for allegedly allowing underage persons to access, use or play VGTs:
- Road Ranger, L.L.C. d/b/a Road Ranger (121006439)
- SDF, Inc. d/b/a Giovanni’s of Rockford
- Hoffman House of East Rockford, Inc. d/b/a Hoffman House
- First Rockford Hospitality Corp. d/b/a Rockford Conference
- Rockford Parlors, Inc. d/b/a Miss Jill’s
- Northern Illinois Video Gaming, LLC d/b/a Slots of Fun
- David Saleh d/b/a David’s Corner
- Hai Quynh Vietnamese Restaurant Inc. d/b/a Hai Quynh Vietnamese Restaurant
- Payal Gas and Food, Inc. d/b/a Payal Gas and Food
- Latham Tap Inc. d/b/a Latham West Bar & Grill (120701990)
- Downtown Rockford Restaurant, L.L.C. d/b/a The District Bar & Grill
- Mingirl Hall Inc. d/b/a Rock-A-Bago Hall
- The Board is seeking a $6,000 fine from two establishments for allegedly allowing underage persons to access, use or play VGTs and failing to cooperate with agents: FP Barrelhead, LTD. d/b/a The Barrel Head and Latham Tap Inc. d/b/a Latham Tap (12070214);
- The Board is seeking to revoke the establishment licenses of the following eight establishments (some of which allegedly have prohibitive backgrounds or histories) for allegedly failing to disclose an owner or Persons with Significant Influence or Control (PSIC):
- Essof, Inc. d/b/a Stadium Lounge
- Paredes & Schmitt LLC d/b/a Famous City Billiards
- Paul Stieler Enterprises, Inc. d/b/a Showplace Cinemas
- Tipsy Enterprises, Inc. d/b/a Rantoul Pub
- Tipsy Enterprises, Inc. d/b/a The Shooters Bar & Grill
- Zejna Islamoski & Lavdrime Islamoski d/b/a The Garden Restaurant
- The Garden Family Restaurant LLP d/b/a The Garden Family Restaurant
- Islamoski & Family, LLC d/b/a Lacey’s Place
- The Board is seeking to revoke the establishment license of Qwikx One Convenience Store, Inc. d/b/a Shar’s Armenetti’s Fine Wine & Spirits for allegedly attempting to mislead the Board about its involvement in a Terminal Operator application; and
- The Board is seeking to revoke the establishment license of Burrito-Mex, Inc. d/b/a Burrito Mex because the owner allegedly played VGTs in his own establishment and allegedly lied to IGB agents.
Lastly, the Board granted authority to the Administrator and staff to enter into settlements and, where necessary, dismiss the complaints previously issued to the following establishments:
- Nancy L. Derubeis d/b/a Steve and Nancy’s Boardwalk Tap
- Westville Hometown Parlor. Ltd. d/b/a Westville Hometown Parlor, Ltd.
- Club 30, LLC d/b/a Jag’s Bar
- Desperado Bar and Grill LLC d/b/a Desperado Bar and Grill LLC.