Since 1992, Doug has served as outside general counsel and a trusted advisor to privately-held businesses, professional practices, entrepreneurs and high net worth individuals and families. His practice is focused on strategic counseling, mergers and acquisitions, joint venture transactions, commercial finance and real estate deals, business succession planning and estate planning for wealthy individuals.
Doug combines his skill set in business and tax law to provide optimal and practical advice to his clients – including one of the East Coast’s largest office environment companies, many of the region’s top professional practices and numerous privately-owned businesses throughout the mid-Atlantic region.
Doug’s emphasis on strategic, practical solutions and client service makes him a vital, dependable and accessible advisor to his clients. His ability to quickly learn and immerse himself in a client’s business has played a key role in a variety of successful transactions ranging in size from several million dollars to more than $1 billion. His work has included:
- Successfully representing one of the nation’s largest registered agent and corporate service in a sale transaction to a competitor.
- Structuring unique relationships between a 30-member physician group and a university health system.
- Counseling a software development and consulting firm focused on freight railway systems in its sale to one of the world’s largest consulting firms.
- Advising on corporate and employment issues for one of the largest office environment companies on the East Coast.
- Counseling on vertical integration and acquisitions for a family-owned print bindery and fulfillment business based in Pennsylvania.
- Advising a distributor of a major American brewing company on the combination of two contiguous wholesale regions in New Jersey and related financing.
- Handling a tax-deferred divisive reorganization of two automobile franchises and related financing and real estate matters.
- Working with various gastroenterology practices in the unwind of a multi-specialty practice and MSO in central New Jersey.
- Assisting several ob-gyn practices in the affiliation with a group practice and MSO in southern New Jersey and worked with those same practices in connection with the purchase of the group practice/MSO by a private equity firm engaged in a roll-up of practices in southern New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania.
- Forming multiple group cardiology practices through the merger and acquisition of additional practices in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Doug currently serves as the Managing Partner of the firm's Princeton office and as a member on the firm’s Executive Committee. As the co-hiring partner of the firm’s Hiring Committee for nearly 10 years, Doug’s leadership role in the firm focused on adding talented attorneys, many of whom have furthered their skills under Doug’s leadership and advanced to partner at Fox Rothschild.
Before Fox Rothschild
Doug has spent his entire legal career with the firm. Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, he served as a law clerk for the Office of the U.S. Attorney, District of New Jersey. In law school at the George Washington University Law School, he was Student Director of the Small Business Clinic.
Doug focused his education – both during law school and his undergraduate work at Tufts University – on business-related issues, learning and honing the skills he developed in his youth as a member of a family who owned a successful business.
His LL.M. in Taxation from New York University helped further develop and solidify his understanding of tax, business and estate planning and succession needs of privately-held business owners and wealthy individuals and families.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Doug is a member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the Mid-Jersey Chamber of Commerce.
In addition, Doug speaks frequently on choice of entity, structuring joint ventures and business succession and estate planning for high net worth individuals and families.