Ed has advised clients on cross-border transactions and investments, U.S. business law and litigation matters worldwide for more than 40 years. He counsels U.S. companies doing business abroad and helps them handle international sales, distribution and licensing agreements, the legal and tax structuring of investments and joint ventures and the U.S. regulation of outbound trade and investment.
Ed also advises foreign companies that are investing and doing business in the United States. In addition, he has dealt with more than 100 cases of international litigation in both the United States and various countries abroad.
- Advised Darome SAS in connection with SupHerb Farms, a joint venture with McCormick & Co. for the processing of individually quick frozen herbs and specialty vegetables in California.
- Assisted with the representation of Myriad Group AG and Myriad France SAS in connection with indemnification claims asserted pursuant to an asset purchase agreement and subsequent litigation and settlement, and in connection with claims asserted by Motorola Mobility in 2010 and subsequent settlement, as well as defense against claims by Raima, Inc. under a software license and subsequent settlement.
- Advised ev3 in connection with international sales and distribution agreements.
- Advised and assisted Piaggio Group Americas, a U.S. affiliate of Piaggio SpA, in connection with U.S. immigration matters relating to non-U.S. citizen employees.
- Advised ThromboGenics N.V. in connection with the operation of its U.S. subsidiary.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Ed practiced at Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP for 40 years, first as a partner and later as counsel. Prior to that, Ed practiced in Brussels for seven years for the Oppenheimer firm and for Cleary Gottlieb, where he began his career.
Before practicing law, Ed studied abroad at the Université d’Aix-Marseille and was a counterintelligence officer in the U.S. Army from 1965 to 1968 and rose to the rank of Captain.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Ed has presented and published frequently in the areas of international licensing, distribution, supply and joint venture agreements, international litigations and related subjects. He also serves as a board member and legal counsel to the Minnesota chapter of Alliance Française, which is devoted to promoting French language and culture throughout the United States and elsewhere. In 2012, Ed became a knight of the French National Order of Merit, Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite.
Honors & Awards
- Named a “North Star Lawyer” by The Minnesota State Bar Association (2013-2014, 2016)
- Knight of the French National Order of Merit, Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (2012)
- Named a “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine (2004)
- Recipient, U.S. Army Commendation Medal (1968)