Eric serves as co-chair of the firm's Family Law Practice and is a member of the firm's Litigation Department. He is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney and is a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Attorneys. Throughout his career, Eric's practice has focused on family law litigation and related matters, such as:
- Litigation, mediation and arbitration of family law matters
- Matrimonial actions, including complex matters involving valuation issues and high conflict matters
- Custody and Parenting Time
- Alimony and child support
- Equitable distribution
- Appellate practice in family law matters
- Grandparent visitation
- Domestic violence
- Negotiation and preparation of prenuptial, postnuptial, and cohabitation agreements
- Negotiation and preparation of property settlement agreements
- Enforcement and modification of agreements, orders, and judgments
- Rights of cohabitants and palimony matters
In addition to his work as a litigator, Eric can also serve as a mediator or arbitrator in divorce cases for those who wish to pursue alternative dispute resolution.
Eric's reported cases include:
- Gnall v. Gnall, 222 N.J. 414, 119 A.3d 891 (2015) (courts must consider all statutory factors in determining alimony; duration alone is not determinative of whether alimony should be permanent vs. limited duration)
- Maeker v. Ross, 219 N.J. 265 (2014) (landmark palimony case invalidating 2010 palimony statute with regard to relationships that pre-dated the statute)
- Parish v. Parish, 412 N.J. Super. 39 (App. Div. 2010) (establishes new rules and procedures before judge can impose conditions upon filing motions in a family part case)
- Eaton v. Grau, 368 N.J. Super. 215 (App. Div. 2004) ("hold harmless" provision in parties' property settlement agreement did not require ex-husband to remove ex-wife's name from the mortgage)
- Moriarty v. Bradt, 177 N.J. 84 (2003) (grandparent visitation)
- Wilde v. Wilde, 337 N.J. Super. 1 (App. Div. 2001) (grandparent visitation)
- Crews v. Crews, 164 N.J. 11 (2000) (standard of living as it relates to alimony)
- Brawer v. Brawer, 329 N.J. Super. 273 (App. Div. 2000) (the enforceability of an oral settlement agreement)
New Jersey Divorce App
For those simply contemplating separation or already in the midst of divorce proceedings in the Garden State, the useful tools included in Fox’s New Jersey Divorce App can answer questions, offer insight into aspects of the divorce process that may have been overlooked and provide users with resources they may not have known were available.
The app is currently available for free in the iTunes Store.
Podcast: The Madoff Mess Hits Divorce Court
Eric was featured in a Forensic Perspective Podcast, a production of MSG Accountants, Consultants & Business Valuators. Eric discussed the decision issued by Acting New York State Supreme Court Justice Saralee Evans in the case of Simkin v. Blank, in which Mr. Simkin sought to reform his divorce agreement with his former wife because he was one of the many victims of the Bernard Madoff ponzi scheme. Ultimately, Justice Evans dismissed the complaint in its entirety. Eric discussed how the Madoff case may impact other matrimonial outcomes. Click here for more.
Before Fox Rothschild
Eric was previously a partner at Donahue, Hagan, Klein, Newsome & O'Donnell, P.C. handling matrimonial law matters.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Eric was appointed by the Supreme Court of New Jersey to the District XB Ethics Committee and served as the chair from September 2010 through August 2011.
Completion of 40-hour Family Law Mediation Training at the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Included in a list of "Trailblazers" in Divorce Law by The National Law Journal (2016)
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney
- Selected for Fellowship in the American Academy of Matrimonial Attorneys
- Selected for Fellowship in the Litigation Counsel of America
- Selected as one of the “10 Best” Attorneys for the State of New Jersey by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys. (2014)
- Selected for inclusion in "10 Leaders in Matrimonial and Divorce Law in Northern New Jersey" (2008)
- Selected as a "Super Lawyer" in Family Law by New Jersey Monthly Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2007-2016)
- Selected as a "Super Lawyer Rising Star" in Family Law by New Jersey Monthly Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2006)
- Selected for inclusion in "10 Leaders in Family Law in New Jersey Under the Age of 45" (2004)
- Selected as a "10 Under 40" of Family and Matrimonial Law Attorneys (2003)