Federal and State Wage and Hour Initiatives: New Priorities, Enhanced Enforcement Efforts and Aggressive Investigations
September 20, 2011
ACI’s 13th National Wage and Hour Conference
San Francisco, CA
Mark Tabakman will be speaking on "Federal and State Wage and Hour Initiatives: New Priorities, Enhanced Enforcement Efforts and Aggressive Investigations" at the ACI’s 13th National Wage and Hour Conference.
The presentation will cover:
- Responding to the increase in DOL regulation and enforcement
- What types of claims are now being brought by the DOL?
- Which industries are attracting scrutiny by the DOL and why?
- The DOL and ABA’s Attorney Referral Program:How to adapt to the DOL’s new practice
- As a result of this program, has there been an increase in claims filed?
- Does the DOL refer certain types of cases more than others?
- What are its selection criteria?
- IRS auditing due to employee misclassification
- What are the risks involved and how is the IRS responding to this practice?
- What is going on in different states in terms of new regulations (e.g. annual notification requirement in NY, OH and CT)?
- Many states are being proactive and making their regulations more restrictive and stepping up their enforcement as a result of the economy and in anticipation of the Federal rules (FLSA) updates
- Overcoming the difficulty national companies face in adhering to the specific laws of every state
- Methods to reduce the cost of compliance
- Overcoming dilemmas: How do companies reconcile conflicts between non-wage and hour laws and wage and hour laws