Employee Benefits & Compensation
- Serve as counsel to numerous private and public corporations in the establishment, administration and ongoing interpretation of their employee compensation plans and contractual obligations and compliance with IRS and SEC regulatory requirements.
- Advise exempt organizations and executives on executive compensation in light of intermediate sanctions and negotiate closing agreements resolving all Section 4958 issues.
- Represented a New York Stock Exchange temporary and technical staffing organization with respect to all of its benefits and executive compensation issues, including extensive advice regarding controlled-group, independent contractor and related benefits issues.
- Represented a prominent Boston-based hospital in connection with structuring and negotiating its executive benefits packages and compliance with associated "intermediate sanctions" requirements for tax-exempt organizations under the Internal Revenue Code.
- Represented a major banking institution based in Ireland with respect to its U.S. workforce, including a major restructuring of its U.S. benefit and executive compensation programs following a large divestiture and extensive integration of benefits for expatriates.
- Represented several major Japanese public companies with respect to benefits compliance and issues relating to the integration of worldwide benefits issues for expatriate executives.
- Provided executive compensation services for Citizens Communications in a $3 billion acquisition of local telephone subsidiaries of Global Crossing.
- Provided executive compensation services for Terra Networks, S.A. in a $12.5 billion acquisition of Lycos.
- Represented members of the management teams of several subsidiaries of Transamerica Corporation in the $1+ billion sales of such subsidiaries to various private equity investors.
- Represented a Japanese-based telecommunications company and a German-based fragrance and flavors company in establishing executive compensation programs.
- Represented the largest supplier of plumbing products in New York City in connection with executive compensation issues and with the sale of its shares to its Employee Stock Ownership Plan.
- Represented the management group of a private company undergoing an IPO in the development of an executive compensation and retention package.
- Representing the executives of a national flavors and fragrance company in the acquisition of the company by an Ireland-based conglomerate.
- Representing several private companies in the establishment of phantom equity programs and the creation of "profits interests" for certain executive personnel.