Franz Español advises a diverse range of clients in labor and employment matters, including hiring practices, wage and hour compliance, terminations, reductions in force and employee leave entitlements.
He also defends employers facing claims of employment discrimination, breach of contract, unfair labor practices and other workplace disputes.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court on behalf of an international logistics company in a dispute involving allegations under the Pennsylvania Criminal History Record Information Act.
- Secured an injunction that prohibited mass-picketing and unlawful demonstrations at a construction site.
- Devised an all-inclusive strategy for compliance with the federal WARN Act and the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act with respect to a plant closure in Pennsylvania.
- Assisted in negotiating a favorable settlement on behalf of a telecommunications provider in a collective action under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a health care management company in a dispute involving allegations of disability-based employment discrimination and a claim of interference with protected medical leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act.
Before Fox Rothschild
Franz served as a summer associate in Fox Rothschild’s Philadelphia office as well as at an international law firm in Los Angeles, California.
During law school, Franz served as a legal intern for the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada where he worked on a variety of discrimination and police violence issues. He co-authored the ACLU’s Proposed Revisions to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department’s Use of Force Policy.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Franz is a founding member and adviser for The Kabalikat Society, a community service organization that builds awareness of Filipino-American heritage. He is also actively involved in the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Pennsylvania and the Young Lawyers Division of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
Tech in the Workplace
Technology confounds as much as it delights. This paradox is particularly true for employers. The Tech in the Workplace blog examines the growing intersection of employment law and technology, reporting on new technological advances and what they mean for corporations as they manage their employees. Tech in the Workplace follows the developing employment law on issues of privacy and social media, and how it is affected by new technologies.
Are We There Yet?
Even in the digital age, the smooth and efficient movement of people, raw materials and finished products is a critical component of the global economy. The companies that make this high-mobility world possible face significant economic, technological and regulatory pressures from a number of sources. The Are We There Yet? blog provides updates on the latest legal issues facing the transportation and logistics industry, including air, rail, trucking, intercity bus and shipping (both ocean and inland); public transit; stevedoring and marine terminal operations; and warehousing and distribution.
Honors & Awards
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers “Rising Star" (2016)
- First Judicial District of Pennsylvania, Pro Bono Roll of Honor (2015-2016)