Howard’s practice involves labor and employment law and ERISA matters, with emphasis on the service, health care, and hospitality industries, as well as educational institutions and public and private sector clients in:
- collective bargaining and labor contract administration
- ERISA suits
- internal investigations
- discrimination suits
- wrongful termination suits
- counseling and litigation avoidance
Howard has extensive experience in representing ERISA Plan administrators and fiduciaries and litigating ERISA cases for multi-employer funds and single employer plans (both qualified and both non-qualified plans).
Howard is a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee and a former co-chair of the Labor and Employment Law Department.
Before Fox Rothschild
Having started his legal career at Fox Rothschild, Howard moved in 1986 to another large Philadelphia firm, where he became the Chair of their Labor and Employment Law Department. He returned to Fox Rothschild in 1996.
At the University of Pennsylvania Law School, Howard received the M. H. Goldstein Memorial Prize for Excellence in Labor Law.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Howard has held a number of leadership roles in Easttown Township, including:
- Township Supervisor and Chair
- Board President and Trustee of the Public Library
- School Director and President of Tredyffrin/Easttown School District
He served as chief labor consultant to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in its labor relations issues from 1995 to 2003.
Honors & Awards
- Named Philadelphia Lawyer of the Year for Employment Law by Best Lawyers (2016)
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Included in “Super Lawyers Business Edition” in the area of Employment and Labor Law (2013)
- Included in the list of "Super Lawyers" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2006 through 2016)
- Included in the list of "Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers" in the area of Labor & Employment (2009 and 2010)
- For 21 years, included in the list of "The Best Lawyers in America" in the area of Labor and Employment law
- Recipient of the City of Hope's Spirit of Life Award (2012)