Ian serves as co-chair of the firm’s Labor and Employment Department and is a member of the Executive Committee. He practices labor and employment law, representing employers across the country in both union and non-union contexts. He works closely with human resource professionals and in-house counsel to navigate the increasingly complex workplace-related rules and regulations mandated by the myriad of laws to provide creative, practical, cost-effective advice and solutions to employment issues.
In the unionized area, Ian focuses on:
- union avoidance/union organizing campaigns
- representation proceedings
- strikes, mass picketing, and union access disputes
- collective bargaining and contract administration
- unfair labor practice proceedings
Ian also counsels and assists employers with respect to, among other things:
- development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures
- discipline and discharge of employees as well as employee leave issues
- development and administration of Affirmative Action Plans
- negotiation, drafting and enforcement of employment and severance agreements
- harassment avoidance and training
Additionally, a significant portion of Ian's practice includes:
- ensuring compliance through periodic labor and employment-relations audits
- court appearances and administrative hearings on a variety of subjects, including wrongful discharge, employment discrimination, occupational safety and health matters (OSHA), wage and hour disputes, unemployment compensation claims, non-compete, non-disclosure and trade secret disputes
In conjunction with the firm's Tax Department, Ian provides advice with respect to tax implications of employment-related matters and provides extensive counseling and guidance on employee benefits.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Ian was a Pupil and now is a Bencher of Southern New Jersey in the New Jersey State Bar Association/Labor & Employment Law Section, the Sidney Reitman Employment Law American Inn of Court, and was the Assistant Coordinator for the Camden County Bar Association for the 1994 New Jersey State Bar Foundation Vincent J. Apruzzese Mock Trial Competition. He lectures frequently to various professional, civic and employer groups. Ian publishes on employment-related topics and is often quoted on these subjects. He is a contributing author to the American Bar Association's treatise on The Fair Labor Standards Act, West Publishing's treatise on Advising Small Businesses, and the ALI-ABA Manual on Advising Clients.
Surviving the OSHA Inspection
There are few things more disruptive and potentially damaging to an employer than an OSHA inspection of the employer’s property. Whether the OSHA inspection concerns imminent danger, catastrophes and fatal accidents, employee complaints, a programmed inspection or follow-up inspection, properly handling an OSHA inspection is a crucial part of conducting any business.
Download entire e-Book (pdf)
The Leave vs. Compensation Debate: How the FMLA, NJFLA, NJ SAFE Act, NJTDB, NJWCA, NJFLI and Employer PTO Policies Collide
This e-Book is designed to provide a general overview of the following laws pertaining to employee leaves of absence: the federal Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, the New Jersey Family Leave Act, the New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Act, the New Jersey Family Leave Insurance Law and the New Jersey Temporary Disability Benefits Law. This e-Book will also discuss in broad terms the interplay of these laws with each other and with employer leave of absence policies.
Download e-Book (pdf file)
Successful Employment Termination Strategies: How to Get Rid of the Troublesome Employee
While litigation is often unavoidable and ultimate success can never by guaranteed, the simple truth is that practices and decisions that make sound, practical business sense are the most defensible in litigation. An employment termination decision is, simply, a business decision with potentially significant legal consequences that should be considered, made and implemented with the same degree of care that attends any other comparable decision.
Download e-Book (pdf file)
Honors & Awards
- Named as a leading labor and employment attorney in New Jersey, Chambers USA (2013-2016)