Jim is a senior partner in the Firm’s Labor & Employment Department. He is a past co-chair of the department and has served as an elected member of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Jim has devoted his career to representing management in all aspects of the employment relationship and has extensive trial and appellate litigation experience in the arbitral, administrative and judicial systems. His practice includes:
- Union organizing campaigns
- Collective bargaining, strikes and labor arbitration
- Employment discrimination and wrongful discharge issues
- The employment implications of mergers, acquisitions, relocations and other major transactions
- Employment, non-disclosure and non-competition agreements
- Multi-employer benefit plans, including pension fund withdrawal liability issues
- Labor-related antitrust issues
Jim has particular experience in the transportation and logistics industry, including air, rail, trucking and shipping (both ocean and inland); public transit; stevedoring and marine terminal operations; and warehousing and distribution.
Jim writes and speaks frequently on labor & employment issues and is the author of Pennsylvania Labor & Employment Law (2016), a fully revised edition of his comprehensive treatise on federal and state employment issues affecting Pennsylvania employers and employees that was first published in 2013. Jim also authored Pennsylvania Labor & Employment Law: Employment Discrimination (2016), which provides a thorough and focused examination of the federal, state and local equal opportunity and employment discrimination laws governing Pennsylvania employers and employees.
Before Fox Rothschild
Jim was a partner at another national law firm. Before entering private practice, he served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Francis L. Van Dusen of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. In law school, Jim served as Editor-in-Chief of the Villanova Law Review, was elected to the Order of the Coif, and received the Hyman-Goodman Award for Outstanding Academic and Extracurricular Achievement.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Included in a list of "Super Lawyers" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2008 through 2016)
- Included in a list of "Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers" in the area of Labor & Employment (2009 and 2010)
- Included in a list of "The Best Lawyers in America" in the area of Labor and Employment Law (2007-2017)
- Included in “Super Lawyers Business Edition” in the area of Employment and Labor Law (2013)