Jim represents corporations, global investment banks and individuals in matters involving complex commercial litigation, white-collar compliance and criminal defense, government and internal investigations, regulatory affairs and insurance disputes.
Financial Services Litigation
Jim has represented major financial services institutions in litigation matters, including defense against federal class action lawsuits and internal investigations alleging violations and fraudulent activity.
- Defended a global bank in a multibillion-dollar federal lawsuit arising from the Bernard Madoff scandal.
- Defended various global investment banks in federal class action lawsuits alleging violations of Section 11 of the Securities Act of 1933 and Sections 10(b) and 20(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- Represented a sovereign wealth fund in an internal investigation into allegations of corrupt payments by an employee.
- Defended a Korean trading corporation in a New York state court action alleging breach of contract.
- Defended a national bank as trustee in a Pennsylvania state court action seeking a declaratory judgment relating to the proceeds of an insurance claim.
- Represented corporate executives in a California state court action against former business partner and his advisors seeking damages stemming from the former partner’s theft of corporate opportunities.
White-Collar Compliance and Criminal Defense
Jim has also represented current and former public officials in wide-ranging federal criminal investigations and he has defended numerous clients against federal criminal actions, including against allegations of various types of theft, fraud and conspiracy.
- Represented a global bank in connection with regulatory inquiries and investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the New York State Attorney General's Office, the Financial Services Authority (United Kingdom) and the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (Luxembourg), relating to the Bernard Madoff scandal.
- Represented an entertainment technology company in a federal class action lawsuit, Securities and Exchange Commission investigation and Ontario Securities Commission investigation, involving allegations of accounting fraud relating to revenue recognition.
- Defended a former public official in a high-profile state criminal action alleging theft by deception, criminal conspiracy and conflict of interest.
- Represented a former public official in connection with a New Jersey Office of the Inspector General review.
- Represented a corporate executive in connection with an investigation by the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office into allegations of bribery of public officials.
- Defended the former president of a charter school in a federal criminal action alleging wire fraud, bank fraud, theft from a federally funded program and conspiracy.
Government and Regulatory Affairs
Jim frequently counsels clients on a range of regulatory matters, helping them realize the impact that proposed federal, state and local legislation may have on their business.
- Advised a wireless communications provider in connection with various federal, state and city lobbying and procurement regulations.
- Represented the Council of the City of New York in connection with sustaining a local law over a mayoral veto.
- Represented a transitional housing provider as plaintiff in a federal lawsuit alleging violations of the Fair Housing Act.
- Represented a client diagnosed as learning disabled in an impartial hearing against the New York City Department of Education.
Jim regularly represents carriers in matters involving all aspects of insurance, including the termination of agency relationships, coverage disputes, claims of bad faith and subrogation actions.
- Defended an insurance carrier in state court action alleging breach of contract and various tort claims stemming from the termination of an agency agreement.
- Obtained dismissal of complaint filed in the federal district court alleging that an underlying subrogation action filed by insurance carrier constituted abuse of process under Ohio law.
- Represented insurance carriers in numerous declaratory judgment and bad faith actions in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
- Regularly provide coverage advice and opinions to insurance carriers in claims involving construction defects, environmental issues, trademark infringement, personal injury, wrongful death and professional negligence.
Jim has also handled an array of other matters for clients, including:
- Represented commercial farms in Pennsylvania in lawsuits alleging that their farming activities constituted public nuisance and negligence.
- Represented widows of New York City firefighters killed in the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center in connection with their applications to the Victim's Compensation Fund.
- Represented a regional bank in a federal trademark lawsuit seeking a declaratory judgment that its name and mark does not infringe any trademarks of the defendants.
- Represented an international record company in connection with a copyright lawsuit against a Vietnamese website and its venture capital investors.
- Advised an organization seeking tax-exempt status.
Before Fox Rothschild
Jim is a former intern for the New York Jets, where he analyzed issues relating to the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, the NFL salary cap and assisted in the drafting of player contracts. He previously worked as an associate at an international law firm in New York, NY.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Jim frequently speaks to young lawyers on the topic of pro bono work as a vital aspect to career growth.
Jim is a former member of the New York Lawyers for the Public Interest Pro Bono Advisory Council and former co-chair of the Legal Aid Society Associate's Campaign. He has volunteered for Legal Outreach, a nonprofit organization focused on encouraging underprivileged public high school students to pursue higher education and professional careers. Additionally, Jim is a former Posse Scholar and remains actively involved with the Posse Foundation, one of the most comprehensive and renowned college access and youth leadership development programs in the United States.
Honors & Awards
- Included in a list of Rising Stars by Benchmark Litigation (2016)