Jim is an experienced litigator who has represented clients in numerous industries in a wide array of legal matters. His far-ranging practice includes complex commercial litigation, white-collar compliance and criminal defense, government and internal investigations, regulatory affairs and environmental matters, as well as health care and insurance disputes.
His diverse client roster has included major financial institutions, a well-known entertainment technology firm, insurance companies, national construction firms, public officials, a wireless communications provider, a major advertising agency, commercial farms, and the former top-ranked professional women’s tennis player.
While Jim is well-versed in multiple fields, he concentrates on the following areas of the law:
- Financial Services Litigation, where he represents global financial institutions in matters that include defending against federal class action lawsuits and internal investigations alleging violations of the securities laws and other fraudulent activity.
- White-Collar Compliance and Criminal Defense, in which he has represented public officials facing criminal investigations, and numerous other clients against federal criminal actions, including allegations of theft, fraud, and conspiracy.
- Government and Regulatory Affairs, where he counsels clients on federal, state and local legislation and policy-making, and the impact certain government regulations may have on their businesses.
- Insurance, in which he represents carriers in matters involving all aspects of their businesses, including termination of agency relationships, breach of contract actions, coverage disputes, bad faith claims, and subrogation actions.
Regardless of the industry his clients operate in, or the issues they face, Jim is a tenacious litigator known for his strategic thinking, attention to detail, and unwavering dedication to achieving the best possible results for their businesses.
Select Representative Matters
- Served as counsel to former top-ranked tennis player, Maria Sharapova, in her successful appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport of a two-year ban from tennis handed down by the International Tennis Federation Independent Anti-Doping Tribunal.
- Defended a global bank in connection with their worldwide exposure to the multibillion-dollar Bernard Madoff fraud.
- Defended the former president of a charter school in a federal criminal action alleging wire fraud, bank fraud, theft from a federally funded program and conspiracy. Joined the legal team in the trial’s sentencing phase and argued successfully for a sentence that was significantly less than prescribed by federal sentencing guidelines.
- Represented the Council of the City of New York in connection with overriding a mayoral veto of a local law that compelled most grocery stores to provide the level of health benefits they paid workers.
- Defended third party administrator against a Pennsylvania public school district’s breach of contract allegations over rebate payments. Filed a lawsuit against the school district that resulted in a settlement in which the district paid the prescription management firm 100% of the fees it owed the company and dropped its lawsuit.
Before Fox Rothschild
Jim is a former intern for the New York Jets, where he analyzed issues relating to the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, the NFL salary cap and assisted in the drafting of player contracts. He previously worked as an associate at an international law firm in New York, NY.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Jim frequently speaks to young lawyers on the topic of pro bono work as a vital aspect to career growth.
Jim is a former member of the New York Lawyers for the Public Interest Pro Bono Advisory Council and former co-chair of the Legal Aid Society Associate's Campaign. He has volunteered for Legal Outreach, a nonprofit organization focused on encouraging underprivileged public high school students to pursue higher education and professional careers. Additionally, Jim is a former Posse Scholar and remains actively involved with the Posse Foundation, one of the most comprehensive and renowned college access and youth leadership development programs in the United States.
Honors & Awards
- Named to Benchmark Litigation's "Under 40 Hot List" (2017)
- Named to the list of Lawyers on the Fast Track by The Legal Intelligencer (2017)
- Named a Rising Star by Benchmark Litigation (2016)