Jim’s practice goes far beyond his four focus areas. He has handled a broad array of other matters for clients, including:
- Served as counsel to former top-ranked tennis player Maria Sharapova in her successful appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport of a two-year ban from tennis handed down by the International Tennis Federation Independent Anti-Doping Tribunal. In one of the highest-profile anti-doping cases ever, Jim worked alongside Fox’s Litigation Department co-chair to substantially reduce the client’s sanction.
- Obtained summary judgement for a general contractor and construction management firm that faced a negligence claim in U.S. District Court. The plaintiff injured his foot when he failed to properly secure a set of large concrete panels to a crane’s lifting mechanism. Jim was able to move the case to a venue less favorable to plaintiffs and after two years of discovery succeeded in obtaining summary judgement. The court held that the general contractor was entitled to immunity and that the construction management firm had no duty to the plaintiff.
- Obtained summary judgment for multiple commercial farms in Pennsylvania in lawsuits alleging that their farming activities constituted public nuisance and negligence. Jim successfully argued that the clients’ activities were fully protected by Pennsylvania’s Right to Farm Act.
- Represented widows of New York City firefighters killed in the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center in connection with their applications to the Victim's Compensation Fund.
- Represented a regional bank in a federal trademark lawsuit seeking a declaratory judgment that its name and mark does not infringe any trademarks of the defendants.
- Represented an international record company in connection with a copyright lawsuit against a Vietnamese website and its venture capital investors.
- Advised multiple non-profit organizations seeking tax-exempt status.
- Serves as outside general counsel to a third-party administrator for self-insured health plans. In this capacity, Jim advises the client in connection with all aspects of their business.