James’ practice focuses on the representation of business entities and individuals in commercial disputes. In addition to his trial work, James serves as outside general counsel to a leading industrial sand company serving customers in the oil and gas industry.
James has spent his entire career at Fox Rothschild and currently serves as the administrative partner for litigation in the Princeton office.
Before Fox Rothschild
James served as a judicial intern in the New Jersey Superior Court, Somerset County.
In addition to taking arbitrations and trials to verdict, James has successfully:
- Resolved $30 million take-or-pay contract dispute in favor of seller and against buyer who claimed force majeure as excuse for non-performance.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insured in multi-jurisidctional, multi-year insurance coverage dispute regarding underlying construction defect claims including an award providing for reimbursement of attorney’s fees and costs expended in all jurisdictions.
- Favorably settled class-action lawsuit on behalf of furniture company accused of violating, among other things, New Jersey’s Truth-in-Consumer Contract Warranty and Notice Act.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of major agricultural cooperative and against third-party computer consulting company that made unsubstantiated claims of tortious interference with contract and unfair competition.
- Overcame Apex employee doctrine and successfully compelled depositions of high-level executives, including chairman and managing director of international pharmaceutical company, in breach of contract dispute.
- By mounting an aggressive pre-litigation defense, prevented lawsuit from being filed against an exiting high-level executive of a pharmaceutical company for alleged violations of post-employment restrictions.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of commercial landlord and against certain shopping center tenants on subject of common area maintenance and real estate tax calculations.
- Obtained a settlement of $1.8 million for an oppressed minority shareholder employee who was victimized by unlawful freeze-out tactics of majority shareholders.
- Prevailed on a motion for summary judgment seeking dismissal of a putative class action filed against a national processor of automated teller machine transactions brought under the Electronic Funds Transfer Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1693 et. seq.
- Managed the review and production of approximately 1.9 million pages of electronic paper for a multinational corporation pursuant to a short-notice court order.
- Prevailed on a motion for summary judgment resulting in a verdict of more than $600,000 for an aggrieved and oppressed minority shareholder who was offered less than $20,000 toward resolution of his claim.
- Obtained a settlement in excess of $450,000 for an employee who was unlawfully terminated and denied commission payments in a high compensation industry.
- Prevailed on a motion for summary judgment resulting in a dismissal of passive owners of a nursing home against whom corporate veil-piercing claims were asserted.
- Defended against a motion by a developer in bankruptcy to discharge more than $1.5 million in client’s construction lien claims resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Obtained the discharge of more than $300,000 in construction liens filed against a commercial property owner’s real estate under the novel construction “lien fund” theory.
Honors & Awards
- Included in a list of "New Jersey Rising Stars" by New Jersey Monthly Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2010-2014, 2016)
- Named a “New Leader of the Bar” by New Jersey Law Journal (2013)
- Senior Member Rutgers Moot Court
- Senior Member Rutgers Law Record