Jim is a skilled litigator whose practice centers on complex commercial and real estate disputes.
He has chalked up litigation victories throughout the Pacific Northwest and beyond. In New York, he defended a $500 million shareholder action in a four-week trial, winning a complete defense verdict. In Milan, Italy, he pursued a commercial claim before an arbitration panel. He also litigates non-compete, trade secret, product liability and wildfire lawsuits, and takes particular pride in handling cases that involve complex technical issues.
Jim’s primary objective, however, is to resolve cases before trial. He has secured summary judgment while representing clients as both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts in Washington and throughout the United States.
Jim has represented:
- A private equity fund and its principals during four-week trial that resulted in a defense verdict that was upheld on appeal.
- Puget Sound Energy as co-lead plaintiff counsel in a multi-plaintiff lawsuit against the State of Washington and two contractors for property damages arising out of the Taylor Bridge Fire. The plaintiffs collectively settled the lawsuit for $59.75 million.
- A Fortune 100 company as lead counsel in breach of contract case. The court dismissed the plaintiff’s claims and entered summary judgment in client’s favor on counterclaims for cover damages.
- A national mortgage lender as lead defense counsel in non-compete litigation.
- Puget Sound Energy as lead defense counsel in validating its utility easements through a former railroad corridor that had been “railbanked” under the federal Rails-to-Trails Act.
- A global manufacturer in product liability and breach of warranty claims in lawsuits throughout the United States and Canada.
- A consumer lender as lead counsel in an administrative hearing over charges brought by the Washington Department of Financial Institutions. The hearing resulted in DFI withdrawing certain charges before the matter was settled.
- An international paper manufacturer as co-lead counsel in breach of contract case in a multimillion-dollar dispute over construction of a boiler for a biomass co-gen power generation plant.
- A national mortgage lender as lead defense counsel in lawsuit alleging fraud and CPA violations.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Jim was a principal at Riddell Williams.
He previously served a two-year clerkship for the Honorable Faye C. Kennedy of the Washington Court of Appeals and practiced in the New York office of a national law firm.
During law school, Jim was a Scholar in Law, received the Honor Scholar Award and served as an editor on Law Review.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, King County Bar Association (2002)
- Named to a list of Washington Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2016 - 2017)
- Named to a list of Washington Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters