James is a seasoned trial attorney with more than 30 years of experience in handling and resolving a wide range of business litigation matters, including intellectual property disputes of all varieties. He has litigated and tried numerous cases involving patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade dress rights and also has extensive experience litigating construction defect, design defect and delay claims.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining the firm, James was a senior trial attorney with Liner Grode Stein Yankelevitz Sunshine Regenstreif & Taylor LLP. He was also previously with Baker & Hostetler.
Among the notable matters that James has handled:
- Successfully defended a major motion picture studio in several significant disputes, including challenges to accounting practices and idea submission cases brought by writers and others claiming copyright infringement.
- Represented a variety of clients in patent infringement suits, including claims for infringement of design and utility patents, trade dress and alleged violation of federal antitrust and state unfair competition laws.
- Served as lead counsel for one of the top 10 patent litigation settlements in U.S. history, in which the client was awarded $70 million in the first phase of arbitration and ultimately settled arbitration for $195 million.
- Served as one of the lead trial counsel for an entertainment and publication client in one of the largest Section 337 actions before the U.S. International Trade Commission under the federal Tariff Act to exclude goods brought into the county in violation of U.S. patent laws.
- Represented national home builders in the defense of construction defect claims as well as the successful prosecution of claims against state and administrative agencies involving design defect and delay claims where the contractor ultimately received millions of dollars of additional compensation for work performed in public works projects.
- Successfully defended a pipe restoration company in a $40 million trade secret suit in which the client was granted a complete defense verdict on all trade secret claims before trial as a matter of law.
- Secured a complete defense verdict in a trade dress suit against an automobile product manufacturer.
- Successfully defended a number of national retailers in patent infringement and trade dress suits.
- Handled numerous patent appeals before the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a major trademark holder in a dilution case against a northern California winery utilizing a similar brand name.
- Represented a national financial and mortgage company in a number of significant matters involving trade name disputes and trade secret theft.
- Represented national building code organizations in a trademark infringement suit involving rights to a family of trademarks and trade names.
Honors & Awards
• Included in the list of Southern California "Super Lawyers" by Law & Politics Magazine