Financial Services and Bankruptcy
Representative matters in financial services and bankruptcy:
- Obtained injunction on behalf of North Carolina bank in connection with servicer’s attempted extension of a loan agreement in violation of the parties’ participation agreement. Case was argued to the Eighth Circuit and settled shortly after argument.
- Defended more than 20 banks in clawback actions in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida arising out of participation loans unknowingly made into a Ponzi scheme operated by former boy-band impresario Louis J. Pearlman.
- Compelled arbitration in “jail card” class action venued in Miami, Florida, leading to dismissal of case.
- Defended bank against class action RICO claims in five different federal jurisdictions arising out of contractual relationship with payday lenders.
- Defended mortgage lenders in class action claims alleging company engaged in the unauthorized practice of law in preparing closing documents.