An experienced transactional lawyer, Jon represents both emerging and established businesses — particularly technology companies — in financing, technology-related transactions and corporate governance matters. He has experience in venture capital financing, private securities offerings and acquisition/disposition transactions and has successfully drafted and negotiated numerous complex agreements for the development, purchase, license and distribution of computer software and hardware, SaaS and other technology-related products and services. In addition, Jon advises clients on information security, outsourcing, hosting agreements, open-source software issues and conducting business over the Internet.
Jon gained extensive international business experience through his work as a software engineer at Control Data Corporation, product development leader and site leader at General Electric and as vice president of product development for Datacard Corporation. He has travelled and conducted business in many countries, including a multiyear assignment living and working in London. He is also a named inventor of two patents for identification and digital image management systems.
- Advises clients on the conduct of business over the Internet, including the preparation of hosting agreements, site-use terms and conditions, privacy policies and other agreements and policies.
- Provides ongoing counsel to a global medical device company on sales channel distribution agreements and product purchasing agreements and regularly advises the client on confidentiality, nondisclosure and noncompete matters.
- Advises clients on high-profile information technology contract negotiations, including the preparation and planning necessary for major software development and implementation projects, including contracts valued at more than $100 million.
- Advises clients on resolving disputes concerning unsuccessful software development and implementation projects.
- Advises multiple clients on outsourcing development and other functions to unaffiliated business partners, including negotiations with CRM and ERP vendors.
- Advises early-stage companies on venture capital and private financings.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Jon was a partner with Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP.
While attending law school, Jon was a member of the William Mitchell Law Review.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Jon was selected for the Leadership Twin Cities program’s Class of 2014-2015. Leadership Twin Cities is a professional development program that informs participants about the critical issues facing the community with the goal of inspiring future leaders and challenging them to make a difference.
Honors & Awards
- Included in a list of “Up & Coming Attorneys” by Minnesota Lawyer (2014)
- Recipient, “Oppenheimer Inner Fire Award,” Presented for Extraordinary Community Service (2014)