Consistently named as one of the leading litigation attorneys in Illinois by Chambers USA, Joe has over 20 years of experience as a trusted adviser, providing counseling and advice to in-house legal teams, and managing various litigation, regulatory and compliance matters. Joe serves as lead trial counsel in complex commercial litigation, class action litigation, securities litigation, white-collar investigations, consumer fraud litigation, employment litigation and insurance litigation.
His clients quoted in Chambers USA praise his trial skills, noting he “has great command of the law” and is “business-savvy” in litigation involving commercial and securities disputes. Joe has been awarded the AV “Preeminent” Rating – the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell. His clients and peers quoted in Martindale-Hubbell praise his strategic thinking and execution, noting he “is an exceptional litigator and strategist” with “stellar written and oral advocacy skills.” One particular client noted that “Joe is smart, well versed in the law and willing to go the extra mile to get the job done right, the first time.” Joe is also listed annually as a Local Litigation Star in Benchmark Litigation.
In 2007, Joe received an MBA from Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management.
- Lexington Insurance Company v. Horace Mann Insurance Company, 2017 WL 2805228 (7th Cir.). Obtained affirmance of directed verdict entered following two-week jury trial.
- Haywood v. Massage Envy Franchising, LLC, 2017 WL 2546568 (S.D. Ill.). Obtained dismissal of a putative consumer class action with prejudice.
- Lexington Insurance Company v. Horace Mann Insurance Company, et al., 186 F. Supp. 3d 920 (N.D. Ill. 2016). As lead trial counsel, obtained directed verdict in favor of client on all counts following two-week jury trial.
- R.J. Lane v. Deutsche Bank, AG, et al., 2015 IL App (1st) 142968. Obtained dismissal of a complaint alleging fraud, conspiracy and breach of fiduciary duty involving a $250 million tax shelter. Affirmed on appeal.
- Minkler v. Apple, Inc., 65 F. Supp. 3d 810 (N.D. Cal. 2014). Obtained dismissal of a putative nationwide class action alleging consumer fraud and breaches of warranty.
- Sadler v. Retail Properties of America, Inc., 2014 WL 2598804 (N.D. Ill.). Obtained dismissal of five putative securities class actions and breach of fiduciary actions against a public company and its directors and officers.
- Hohenstein v. Behringer Harvard REIT I, Inc., 2014 WL 1265949 (N.D.Tex.). Obtained dismissal of putative securities class action and breach of fiduciary duty actions against REIT and its directors and officers.
- Garcia v. Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC, 859 F. Supp. 2d 1056 (N.D.Cal.). Obtained dismissal of a nationwide consumer class action.
- Fineman v. Sony Network Entertainment Intern. LLC, 2012 WL 424563 (N.D.Cal.). Obtained dismissal of a putative nationwide consumer class action.
- In re Sony PS3 Other OS Litigation, 2011 WL 6117892 (N.D.Cal.). Obtained dismissal of a putative nationwide consumer class action.
- Reyes v. Cole Taylor Bank, 2011 WL 3704705 (N.D.Ill.). Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of a putative Illinois consumer class action.
- Brown v. Lululemon Athletica, Inc., 2011 WL 741254 (N.D.Ill.). Obtained dismissal of a putative nationwide employment class action.
- In re 365/360 Litigation (Equinox Development Corp. v. Cole Taylor Bank, No. 09 CH 17177 (Cir. Ct. Cook Co. 2010); Goldman v. The PrivateBank and Trust Company, 09 CH 46796 (Cir. Ct. Cook Co. 2010); Hubbard St. Lofts v. Inland Bank, 09 CH 49410 (Cir. Ct. Cook Co. 2010)). Obtained dismissal of three separate putative Illinois consumer class actions.
- Police and Fire Retirement System of City of Detroit v. SafeNet, Inc., 645 F. Supp. 2d 210 (S.D.N.Y. 2009). Obtained dismissal of a putative securities class action against an individual director.
- City of St. Clair Shores Gen. Empl. Ret. Sys. v. Inland Western Retail Real Estate Trust, Inc., 635 F. Supp. 2d 783 (N.D.Ill. 2009). Obtained dismissal of a derivative action against officers and directors of public company.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Joe was a partner in the Chicago office of a global law firm.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Joe serves as lead pro bono counsel for the Thai-Illinois Project, a nonprofit providing financial support to orphanages in Thailand.
Honors & Awards
- Selected as one of the leading litigation attorneys in Illinois by Chambers USA (2017-2018)
- Selected as a “Local Litigation Star” in Class Actions and Securities by Benchmark Litigation (2017-2018)
- Selected for inclusion in “Super Lawyers” (2013-2017)
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Rated 10/10 by Avvo