Lena represents clients in a wide range of commercial and intellectual property (IP) disputes, with a particular focus on patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, employment and business tort litigation. She represents clients at all stages of litigation and routinely advises clients on complex legal issues, such as global IP portfolio generation and protection, data privacy, freedom-to-operate opinions, litigation strategy, commercial contracts and risk assessment. Lena also negotiates, drafts and advises clients on a variety of technology and business agreements. Lena has successfully represented clients across a wide range of industries, including aerospace, pharmaceutical, 3D printing, consumer electronics, semiconductor, software, telecommunications, entertainment, fashion and medical devices.
Among the notable matters that Lena has handled:
- Lead counsel in a jury trial involving the misappropriation of the client’s trade secrets, retaliation and labor code violation claims, resulting in a favorable settlement during trial.
- Lead counsel for defendants in patent infringement litigation involving mail tracking and bar code technology. Obtained desired claim construction ruling from Central District of California that resulted in highly favorable settlement for clients.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in patent infringement lawsuit for oclacitinib product. First chair hearings and defend CEO and key employees in depositions.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit for client accused of infringing trademark and business tort claims from sales of consumer health products.
- Represented consumer product client in IPR proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Obtained six-figure attorneys’ fees award from the Central District of California for defendant in multi-venue litigation involving copyright infringement and unfair competition claims surrounding sales of embellished jeans.
- Counseled aerospace client regarding potential trade secret claims. Drafted agreements licensing client’s intellectual property.
- Lead counsel for defendants in various federal court cases involving copyright, trade dress, and design patent infringement claims relating to footwear and apparel.
- Obtained dismissal of trade secret claims against metalworks client in C.D. Cal.
- Defended satellite broadcasting company in multiple patent infringement lawsuits involving electronic program guides, digital video recorders and set top boxes. Cases settled under terms favorable to client.
- Successfully defended cosmetics company in trademark opposition before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), resulting in TTAB dismissing case and clearing way for client’s trademark registration.
- Obtained U.S. trademark rights for electronic entertainment, cosmetics, 3D printing, banking and music clients.
- Counseled satellite broadcasting company regarding international patent portfolio and potential third party IP claims.
- Counseled mobile phone reseller regarding U.S. Customs regulations and various IP issues.
- Defended television and consumer electronics manufacturer in multiple patent infringement lawsuits involving MPEG video compression and LCD display technologies.
- Negotiated, drafted and advised clients regarding patent licenses, technology transfer and joint development agreements.
- Negotiated and drafted software development agreement.
- Negotiated and drafted joint venture agreement.
- Negotiated and drafted motion picture director, producer and writer agreements for film production company.
- Drafted merchandising agreement for digital entertainment studio.
- Second chair in trial for pro bono client defrauded in real estate scam.
- Obtained $50,000 default judgment for pro bono clients defrauded by unlicensed law firm.
- Counseled pro bono gang tattoo removal client on copyright and trademark issues.
Before Fox Rothschild
Before joining Fox Rothschild, Lena was an associate in the intellectual property litigation practice of Jones Day.
Lena is a former systems engineer for Lockheed Martin, where she advised members of the U.S. Air Force, Department of Defense, and third-party contractors on the Air Force Satellite Control Network and DoD satellite programs.
While in law school, Lena was a staff member of the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review. She also was one of only two students to participate in “At the Crossroads Program for Law and Technology,” a joint effort by Loyola Law School and the California Institute of Technology, where she worked with the founder of Linux and argued issues of first impression regarding “open source” software and Internet jurisdiction before justices of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Lena is a frequent presenter on topics related to intellectual property law, and has presented at the University of Southern California on Medical Products and the Law, and to the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Los Angeles Enterprise Chapter on IP law and government regulations restricting patentability of aerospace subject matter.
Lena actively provides pro bono work to a variety of clients. She has handled cases involving a real estate scam, counseled a gang tattoo removal client on copyright and trademark issues and secured a $50,000 default judgment for clients defrauded by an unlicensed law firm.
Additionally, Lena is a regular participant in the Game Developers Conference (GDC) and Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), where she has served as a supervising attorney for a research project involving state and federal regulations on interactive entertainment.