Our diverse background and team management strategy provides clients with the support they need in a variety of areas. Our attorneys have handled a range of matters related to intellectual property; mergers, acquisitions and sales; funding; agreements and licensing; compliance, litigation and white collar.
- Represent public and private universities and hospital-based research institutions in patent prosecutions and licensing matters.
- Achieved a favorable settlement of a complex patent infringement suit on behalf of IMCOR Pharmaceutical Co. against GE Healthcare.
- Achieved a favorable claim construction ruling in a complex patent infringement suit on behalf of Precimed, S.A., against Orthogenesis.
- Obtained a U.S. patent for Medtronic directed to methods and devices for the treatment of intervertebral discs.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company in a patent infringement and Lanham Act case.
- Prosecuted a patent application for a device with a biometric sensor used to verify the identity of the user that is able to emulate credit cards with a programmable magnetic stripe.
Mergers, Acquisitions and Sales
- Represented a health care company in its merger with a provider of specialized biopharmaceutical medications and services valued at $51.4 million.
- Acquired overseas companies with approved CE marks to enable domestic manufacturers of life sciences products to distribute products in overseas markets.
- Counsel to Clinigen Healthcare on the acquisition of Foscavir Hospira and on its acquisition of marketing and sales rights for a multiple sclerosis treatment from Genzyme.
- Represented a diagnostic and life sciences research products company in connection with its asset sale in a $31 million transaction.
- Advised Precimed, S.A., an international medical device company, in all aspects of its U.S. and worldwide operations, including eight strategic acquisitions across the globe and the successful sale of the company to a large public company buyer for $120 million.
- Represented a start-up pharmaceutical company in its formation, financing and $10 million purchase of a drug compound and related intellectual property from an international pharmaceutical company.
- Represented Lannett Company, Inc., a developer, manufacturer, marketer and distributor of generic pharmaceutical products in the United States, in its $1 million stock-deal acquisition of Cody Laboratories.
- Represented a private practice in the specialty field of intraoperative neuromonitoring in connection with the sale by its shareholders of all of the capital stock of the company for $34 million.
- Guided a health care company in its successful merger with a specialized biopharmaceutical medications and services provider valued at more than $50 million.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company in a $20 million Series A preferred stock financing and two earlier rounds of seed funding totaling $3.5 million.
- Represented an early stage biotechnology company in connection with a $15 million venture capital investment and a spin-out of chronic wound treatment technology from a large publicly traded health care company.
- Counsel to Synerx Pharmaceuticals, which developed five FDA approved products on its $10.5 million capital raise.
- Served as U.S. counsel in the £135 million UK initial public offering of pharmaceutical company Clinigen.
- Counsel to Innocutis, marketer of dermatology products, in its $6.5 million raise in equity capital from Ballast Point Ventures.
Agreements and Licensing
- Counsel to Penn Pharmaceutical Services (a UK company) on its agreements with several biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
- Represented Precimed, S.A., in dozens of product license, distribution, manufacturing and reseller arrangements worldwide.
- Counsel to Edge Therapeutics on the in-license of a drug delivery system from SurModics.
- Assisted pediatrics products start-up company in initial licensing-in of IP, development of IP strategy and portfolio, $1.5 million of angel financing, and out-licensing of exclusive U.S. $15 million license.
Compliance, Litigation and White Collar
- Set up, managed and formed captive insurance companies and implemented other creative risk management strategies for life sciences clients to decrease claims, minimize taxes and implement procedures to develop safe and efficacious products, thereby substantially decreasing the number and size of product liability claims and losses associated with products marketed in regulated industries.
- Represented a provider of commercial software for regulatory compliance within pharmaceutical manufacturing in connection with the sale of approximately $2.3 million worth of Series A convertible participating preferred stock.
- Defended manufacturers and distributors of medical devices(self-insured, with self-insured retentions and insured) in product liability suits to successful conclusion in virtually every jurisdiction in the United States.
- Represented clients in FDA investigations and enforcement actions for alleged violations of federal regulatory law, including the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and the Safe Medical Devices Act.
- Designed, implemented and managed recall plans and product withdrawal plans for life sciences clients.
- Successfully secured the abandonment of criminal charges against the officers and directors of life sciences companies during the investigation stage of FDA enforcement actions.
- Counseled a surgical instrument manufacturing executive in an FDA and customs fraud indictment.