Litigation Practice Matters
- Represented significant part of the state of California in an antitrust case stemming from the
California energy crisis. The case — the largest of its kind — settled after a three-month trial for approximately $2 billion, with a $200 million attorney’s fee award approved.
- Successfully defended claims for breach of contract under pharmaceutical license agreement resulting in $110 million in cost savings in Novozymes v. Human Genome Sciences and GlaxoSmithKline.
- Won dismissal of all claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in proposed class action suit over calls that included recorded messages to debtors. Significantly, the judge agreed to strike all class action allegations without requiring full class certification process, agreeing with Fox attorneys
that membership in the class would be impossible to determine.
- Represented a major international law firm and senior equity partner in defense of defamation and privacy claims.
- Successfully defended a pipe restoration company in a $40 million trade secret suit in which the client was granted dismissal of all trade secret claims before trial as a matter of law.
- Defended a major television network in a series of lawsuits aimed at preventing the airing of television specials revealing magic tricks.
- Represented a defense contractor in a toxic tort action brought by residents living near a plant. Moved the matter to arbitration and resolved more than 300 claims in short period. The process effectively reduced the transaction costs and allowed the client to cover most of the settlement with existing insurance.
- Successfully defended a major motion picture studio in several significant disputes, including challenges to accounting practices and idea submission cases brought by writers and others claiming copyright infringement.
- Won a $5 million-plus verdict for a condominium association after a two-week jury trial in the Philadelphia Commerce Court program arising under the Uniform Condominium Act.
- Played leadership role on trial team in 12-week case, defending Southern Pacific Railroad in a multibillion-dollar antitrust case brought by a coal slurry pipeline company. A defense verdict was obtained.
- Served as lead trial counsel in dispute between two surgeons over compensation owed to client. Defended against counterclaim regarding ownership interest in ambulatory surgical center. Secured $1.3 million jury verdict in favor of the client and a verdict of “no cause” on counterclaims.
- Successfully represented a Chapter 7 Trustee in asserting claims for equity compensation arising out of dissolution of a 600-member international law firm.
- Defended a cable network in a breach of copyright matter brought by a competing producer regarding a television special on an African-American military regiment.
- Led the prosecution of a multimillion-dollar arbitration stemming from the sale of a business with a multitude of claims and counterclaims. Defeated the counterclaims and obtained a $900,000+ favorable judgment for the client.
- Took over a theft-of-idea case against a consumer products company following an adverse jury verdict and a remand after a successful appeal. Obtained a multimillion-dollar settlement for the client on the eve of trial.
- Served as one of the lead trial counsel for an entertainment and publication client in one of the largest Section 337 actions before the U.S. International Trade Commission under the federal Tariff Act to exclude goods brought into the county in violation of U.S. patent laws.
- Defended an apparel manufacturer in defense of allegations of misappropriation of corporate assets before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, S.D.N.Y.
- Routinely handle multimillion-dollar claims by homeowners associations for construction defects along with the builder/vendors’ subrogation of those claims against the responsible construction professionals.
- Retained to represent a large pharmaceutical company during the trial of a trademark claim to handle potential appeal in the event of an adverse judgment. Following an adverse
judgment, obtained a remittitur that reduced the judgment by more than $100 million and ultimately successfully represented the company on appeal.