Loren is partner in the corporate department with particular experience in three disciplines:
- Venture capital transactions;
- Acquisitions; and
- Commercial contract negotiations.
Loren also serves as co-chair of the firm’s Life Sciences Practice.
For 14 years, Loren has represented companies seeking capital and the investors that provide it. He began his career concentrating in venture capital in Silicon Valley, California during the late 1990s and now works from his offices in Pennsylvania and New York City.
Representative venture capital deals (2011-2012):
- $60M capital raise in 2011. Client is a freight forwarding and logistics company, specializing in entertainment and live events.
- $10M capital raise. Client was a generic pharmaceutical company that developed five FDA approved products. Client sold to a large multinational corporation in 2011.
- $23M capital raise in 2011. Client cleans the tools used to make semiconductor chips. Client grew from 100 employees before the capital raise to 700 employees in 5 countries after the capital raise.
- $20M capital raise. Client developed a topical cream to treat head lice. Client was sold to a large multinational corporation in 2011. Client’s new drug application was approved by the FDA in 2012.
- $6M capital raise in 2011. Client is a leading supplier of equipment, materials, and technical support for the metal roofing industry.
- $6M capital raise in 2011 from a venture capital fund based in Florida. Client develops and markets several dermatology products.
- $21M capital raise from venture capital funds from Switzerland, The Bahamas, Canada, and the United States from 2010 to 2012. Client makes organic beverages.
Loren’s knowledge is enhanced by his experience as a venture capital investor. Loren founded Delaware Crossing Investor Group, a network of angel investors operating in the Philadelphia and Princeton region, which has invested approximately $5 million in early stage companies since 2005.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Loren represents both public and private companies on mergers and acquisitions. Representative M&A transactions (2011-2012):
- $840M cash sale in 2012. Client is a NASDAQ-listed commercial insurance holding company.
- $37M cash sale in 2011. Client makes bullet-proof glass.
- $14M stock sale in 2011. Client is a commercial lender.
- $6M cash sale in 2011. Client provides oil storage facilities at an international port.
Commercial Contract Negotiations
Loren advises on strategic alliances, licensing, distribution and strategic agreements and executive compensation. Loren has particular experience negotiating commercial transactions, such as:
- Patent license agreements on behalf of biotech and pharmaceutical companies.
- Joint venturing and strategic partnership agreements for international collaborations, often in Asia.
- Product development and service agreements on behalf of a UK pharmaceutical services company.
- Co-marketing agreements involving consumer products, nutriceuticals and other over-the-counter drugs.
As a member of the firm's Technology and Venture Finance Group, Loren counsels clients in the fields of biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, life sciences, information technology and computer software.
Loren has experienced on credit transactions, representing lenders and borrowers in documenting a wide variety of loans. He is familiar with UCC issues and complex commercial and real estate loan arrangements. Representative engagements include:
- Borrower’s counsel on $23 million in acquisition financing.
- Lenders' counsel on a $10 million construction loan for a New Jersey shopping center.
- Borrower's counsel on a $3.5 million leveraged buy-out of a nationwide division spun-out from an international semiconductor company.
- Borrower's counsel on a $10 million re-financing of an asset-based loan.
- Borrower's counsel on a $4 million tax-free construction financing.
- Borrower's counsel on a $3 million tax-free acquisition financing.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Loren is an active member of the Greater Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies (PACT), having established himself as one of this region’s leading technology, life sciences and clean tech company attorneys. In 2013 he also participated in the organization's annual Venture Summit, IMPACT.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the Pennsylvania Biotechnology Center Entrepreneur Champion Award (2015)