Lori Landew, partner and administrative chair of Fox Rothschild's Entertainment Department, is a media and entertainment lawyer whose practice spans the film, television, music, publishing, sports and fashion industries. A seasoned negotiator with more than two decades of experience, she handles deals that involve all aspects of content creation, production, and distribution, as well as matters centered on brand awareness, cultivation, integration and promotion.
Splitting her time between New York and Philadelphia, Lori focuses on the negotiation, drafting and enforcement of complex agreements that protect and promote her clients’ business interests including, among others:
- recording agreements
- music publishing agreements
- content licenses
- merchandise agreements
- management agreements
- representation agreements
- producer agreements
- collaboration agreements
- sponsorship agreements
- endorsement agreements
- talent agreements
- production services agreements
- film finance agreements
- distribution agreements
Lori also routinely shares her business savvy and insights with her clients who seek her advice on the entertainment industry.
Media companies, universities, cultural institutions, performance venues, restaurants, and sports teams are among the many clients that turn to Lori for guidance in protecting their intellectual property and in building their brands. Lori is also frequently called upon to evaluate and advise companies on the value of their intellectual property rights and assets, particularly in advance of major acquisitions or mergers.
Variety magazine named Lori to two of its most prestigious lists — the Dealmaker's Impact Report and the New York Women’s Impact Report. And she has been repeatedly recognized by Best Lawyers in the category of Entertainment Law.
A former general counsel and senior executive at two successful international entertainment companies, Lori is a trusted adviser to startups and established companies on legal and business matters. For many clients, Lori serves in a role akin to an outside general counsel, providing guidance on a broad range of issues as they arise and sometimes joining in conversations about longer term business strategy.
Lori is frequently quoted in Forbes, Law360 and other media outlets on topics relating to the music industry and other entertainment business issues.
Lori is also a go-to source in the emerging world of drone law having presented at the prestigious 2nd Annual New York City Drone Film Festival on the topic of “Integrating Drones Into a Production Workflow,” which offered guidance to producers on how to identify whether drones are a viable option in a film project.
- Negotiated deals for production companies specializing in developing programming in the non-scripted reality space. Led discussions with several cable networks, including A&E, AMC, The Food Network, Tribune, The Travel Channel, Oxygen, and Viacom. Also represented the production companies in its negotiations with the talent featured in the programming to secure rights to their performances.
- Represented a top fashion model in all facets of her professional activities including negotiating her agreements with her agent and her publicist, and in cross-branding activities, including a television series, a fashion line and endorsing fashion merchandise.
- Counseled a major home shopping channel in cross-branding opportunities through various entertainment platforms. Assisted in efforts to secure rights to content with owners and distributors, including Fox Television, Columbia Records and the Warner Music Group.
- Represented a multinational music publishing company in its acquisition of several music libraries. Managed the music rights due diligence in each transaction to determine and confirm the nature, scope and validity of the rights being acquired, including the drafting of comprehensive due diligence reports used by the client in its final acquisition analysis.
- Handled the negotiation of a documentary production agreement and distribution agreement for one of the country’s preeminent noncommercial radio stations.
- Represented multiple chef and restaurant clients in connection with activities outside their restaurants, such as special appearances, speaking engagements, cookbook publishing and recurring roles on television shows, including “Chopped.”
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining the firm, Lori was a key member of the Media, Entertainment & Sports Law practice at a national law firm, where she built and expanded the scope of commercial transactions for media and entertainment companies as well as businesses venturing into content creation and acquisition.
Lori was also previously president of Landew Entertainment Business Associates, LLC, where she led business development initiatives and negotiated sophisticated deals for clients in entertainment and related industries.
Lori also served as general counsel for the Ryko Corporation, a multinational entertainment company, where she was one of a small executive management team that worked to develop business opportunities, form strategic partnerships and structure favorable deals that led to the company’s acquisition by the Warner Music Group.
Additionally, Lori formerly served as vice president of business affairs for Zomba Recording Corporation, the most successful independent music company in the world at the time, where she led several initiatives to realize substantial cost-savings and revenue growth for the company including building, training and managing an experienced licensing team that generated considerable revenues to the company’s bottom line.
Lori began her legal career as an associate in top New York law firms, representing clients in the entertainment and advanced technology industries in connection with their intellectual property and commercial litigation needs.
While in law school, Lori served as executive editor of the Columbia-VLA Journal of Law and the Arts and as president of the Columbia Advocates for the Arts.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Lori currently sits on the Board of Directors for the Greater Philadelphia Film Office and is a founder and member of the Board of Directors of LiveConnections.org, the organization that connects all kinds of people through all kinds of music.
Honors & Awards
- Named a "Woman of Distinction" by Philadelphia Business Journal (2017)
- Named to Variety’s Dealmakers Elite New York list (2017)
- Named among the "Women in the Law" by Best Lawyers (2017)
- Named among the "Women on the Move" by Main Line Today (2016)
- Named to Variety’s Dealmakers Impact Report (2015)
- Named to Variety's New York Women's Impact Report (2016)
- Named among "The Best Lawyers in America" for Entertainment Law (2015-2018)
- Winner of the "Top Entertainment Attorney" poll conducted by Rock On Philly (2014)
Pay or Play
Authored by the attorneys in the firm’s Entertainment Department, the Pay or Play blog provides a legal perspective on the latest issues and trends affecting the entertainment industry, including digital content, multichannel networks, celebrity branding and artist and performer management as well as commentary on music law and media distribution law.