Marilou focuses her practice on all aspects of intellectual property law, with particular emphasis on:
- foreign and domestic patent prosecution
- client counseling
- infringement analysis
- patent invalidity and freedom to operate studies and Hatch-Waxman issues related to ANDA filings
- licensing, due diligence and divestiture matters in the chemical and pharmaceutical arts
A leader in the firm, Marilou serves as co-chair of the Life Sciences Practice. Additionally, she previously served as co-chair of the firm's Diversity Committee, where she assisted in spearheading initiatives that promoted firm-wide diversity and inclusiveness.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Marilou was a partner at Synnestvedt and Lechner, LLP, where she was chair of the Pharmaceutical Practice Group. She was also previously Assistant Intellectual Property Counsel at Elan Drug Delivery, Inc.
Marilou has been a registered pharmacist since 1991 with a focus on advanced pharmaceutical technology. She has a wide variety of technical experience within the pharmaceutical industry that includes bio-pharmaceutical research and development involving pharmacokinetic drug preformulation of proprietary compounds. Her pharmaceutical technical support experience involved technical analysis of numerous pharmaceutical products, devising project protocols and lab scale formulations of various drug products and excipients including product validation, stability and sterility studies.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
As a member of the Montgomery Bar Association Diversity Committee, Marilou created a “Day in Court” program at the Montgomery County Courthouse. In 2013 the program received a County Bar Recognition Award from the Pennsylvania Bar Association for its impact on the future of the legal profession. The program provides high school students the opportunity to observe a live court proceeding and meet with several county judges, the Public Defender, District Attorney, former County Detective and the County Commissioners. The program serves as an adjunct to the classroom program that Marilou created and chairs. In the classroom program attorneys visit the schools and teach lessons on legal topics to students.
In addition, Marilou is a registered pharmacist in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
She is also an annual guest lecturer at the Temple University Beasley School of Law on the topic "The Application of Intellectual Property Practice to Product Liability Cases."
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the Henry Stuckert Miller Community Service Award Winner by the Montgomery Bar Association (2016)
- Recipient of the Multicultural Leadership Award by the National Diversity Council (2015)
- Selected as a Diverse Attorney of the Year by The Legal Intelligencer (2015)
- Selected as a recipient of the Minority Business Leader Award by the Philadelphia Business Journal (2014)
- Selected as a STAR (Special Thanks and Recognition) Honoree by the School District of Springfield Township in Montgomery County, PA (2014)
- Recipient of the Temple University School of Pharmacy Sprowls Lecture Award (2014)
- Temple University School of Pharmacy Commencement Speaker (2013)
- Selected for inclusion in a list of “IP Stars” by Managing Intellectual Property (2012-2016)
- Recipient of the "2011 Life Sciences Award" in the category of Best Consultant by the Philadelphia Business Journal
- Appointed to the Pennsylvania Governor's Commission on Early Childhood Learning Investment
- Included in the Barristers' list of 60 as a Top African American Lawyer in Philadelphia by Tribune Magazine (2011)
- Temple University Pharmacy School's Gallery of Success Award (2010)
- Included in a list of "Super Lawyers" in the field of Intellectual Property by Super Lawyers Magazine, Corporate Counsel Edition (2009)