Mark focuses a segment of his practice on compliance with privacy-related laws, rules and regulations (domestic and international), as well as responses in the event of a data breach. Because of the incredibly wide range of applicable laws, rules and regulations, Mark understands that advising on privacy-related issues is not an area of law that should be practiced “on the side,” and diligently stays up-to-date on this ever-changing field. Mark prepares privacy policies (both intra-company and for customers), handles privacy issues under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and related requirements for the privacy of consumer financial information (including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)), prepares data security plans and assists with data breach responses and notifications.
Mark’s Privacy Desk Reference can be downloaded at http://tinyurl.com/PrivacyDeskReference, or he will be happy to send you a copy for your Chief Privacy Officer upon request.
Mark also practices intellectual property and the law of the Internet. He prosecutes various intellectual property matters, negotiates transactions, and provides counsel on a wide range of technology-related matters including:
- copyright application, analysis, protection, and enforcement
- trademark availability opinions, application preparation, and licensing
- patent licensing
- software licensing and digital data security protection
- Internet hosting, design agreements, and data-sharing agreements
- preparation and launch of Website e-commerce stores
- online transactions
- product and brand integration with operating systems and related advertising agreements
- administrative and federal domain name ownership challenge procedures involving the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) domain name dispute resolution procedure, the Federal Anti-Cybersquatting Act, and anti-cybersquatting claims in general
In addition, Mark practices general corporate and mergers and acquisitions law, which includes:
- drafting confidentiality policies, employment agreements and non-competition agreements
- analyzing the exposure of prospects in potential acquisitions
- providing advice on venture capital offerings and securities filings
Mark also has significant experience handling bankruptcy matters for businesses, debtors and trustees. Mark has substantial experience prosecuting and defending avoidance actions. After more than fifteen years of experience managing avoidance action programs on behalf of trustees, Mark has streamlined these programs to be efficient and provide the maximum return to the applicable bankruptcy estates, including in the following cases:
- Winstar Communications, Inc.
- Dollarland, Inc.
- Pennsylvania Gear Corporation
- Cytometrics, Inc.
- Ultimate, Inc.
- Forest City Auto Parts
- Langston Corporation
- Automata International, Inc.
- Midland Steel Products
- The Gingiss Group, Inc.
- AM Communications
- Zoom Media Group, Inc.
- U.S. Wood Products, Inc.
- Phoenix Structures and Services, Inc., and C&S Fabricators, Inc.
- Channel Master Holdings, Inc.
- Breuners Home Furnishings Corp.
- American Remanufacturers, Inc.
- Joan Fabrics Corporation
- Hospital Partners of America, Inc.
- Sports Collectibles Acquisition Corp.
- Weisman Discount Home Centers, Inc.
- Downey Financial Corp.
- WBE, LLC f/k/a Everything But Water, LLC
- Axiant, LLC
- Bionol Clearfield, LLC
- Cycle World of Cherry Hill, Inc.
- Hess Industries
- Transvantage Solutions
Among his leadership roles, Mark serves as the firm's Hiring Partner and a member of the Firm’s Finance Committee.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Mark writes for numerous legal and technology publications and is a frequent media source on these issues.
Data Breach 411 App
Sensitive data. Gone. Stolen by faceless thieves who breached the company’s seemingly secure network. But combatting potential catastrophe and navigating proper response protocol has never been easier, thanks to a new iPhone app launched by Fox. Mark was instrumental in the creation of the app, which promises a guide to swift damage control at the fingertips.
The app is currently available for free in the iTunes Store. To download it, click here.
Privacy Compliance & Data Security Blog
Mark is an author of the firm's Privacy Compliance & Data Security Blog. This blog helps readers navigate through the policies and best practices of data breach response and covers topics such as compliance with data protection laws and regulatory enforcement and litigation as well.
Honors & Awards
• Included in the list of "Pennsylvania Rising Stars" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010)