Matthew handles a wide array of corporate matters, with a particular focus on:
- Venture capital and private equity financings for technology, life sciences and cannabis companies
- Private company mergers and acquisitions
- Outside General Counsel for emerging and growth stage companies
Among the transactions Matt has handled are:
Mergers and Acquisitions: Over $3.5 billion in private company M&A transactions, including deals nominated for The M&A Advisor’s 2016 “Deal of the Year” in both “middle-market” and “foreign” categories, in which he represented:
- Inc. 100 leader in global in-app advertising for Facebook, Apple (iOS) and Android developers, in connection with a recapitalization and investment by a U.S.-based private equity fund.
- Chinese private equity fund and its U.S. operating subsidiary in the acquisition of a U.S.-based specialty pharmaceutical company dedicated to improving patient care through innovative therapeutics.
- Fortune 500 international retail company in its purchase of distressed assets including inventory, real estate, workforce, and accounts receivable from a U.S.-based private equity fund.
- Chinese private equity fund and its U.S. operating subsidiary in the acquisition of a leading U.S. producer of marketed generic pharmaceutical products.
- Leading SaaS facility management and service products distribution platform as the target in an acquisition by a U.S.-based private equity fund.
- Global manufacturer and distributor of household durable products as the target in an acquisition by a U.S.-based private equity fund.
- Syndicate of healthcare industry private equity funds in the acquisition of a controlling interest in a leading manufacturer of specialty chemicals primarily used in medical devices, industrial materials and pharmaceuticals, with multiple distinct manufacturing subsidiaries.
- Company and key equityholders of a global sports franchise, with assets including intellectual property, real estate, and other key holdings, as the target in a strategic acquisition.
Venture Capital Financings: Over 100 career Series Seed through Series D, SAFE, and convertible debt venture capital and strategic investor financings for early and growth stage technology, life sciences and cannabis companies, including:
- New York’s leading angel investment networks in preferred equity financing and convertible debt financings.
- High net worth family fund in various impact investing financings.
- Preferred equity financing of a leading casino video-gaming platform.
- Global e-commerce fashion retailer featured in Vogue, Harper’s BAZAAR and Refinery 29 in a preferred equity financing.
- Consumer online engagement gaming platform in a convertible debt financing.
- Machine learning SaaS platform in multiple rounds of preferred equity financing.
- Real estate management app platform in a convertible debt financing.
- Social network app developer in a convertible equity financing.
- New York health care clinic in a recapitalization and preferred equity financing.
- Immunotherapeutics development platform in a convertible debt financing.
- Formation of and investment by an SPV in a preferred equity financing of groundbreaking cannabis license operator.
- Cannabis distribution and supply SaaS platform in a convertible debt financing.
- Cannabis distribution and supply platform in a convertible debt financing.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Matthew is the co-founder of Digital Brown, Brown University's global network of alumni in digital technology and media, and serves as co-chair of the American Bar Association’s Angel Venture Capital Subcommittee of the Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee. He is also an active member of New York's venture capital community, and has published with and advised for local, national and international venture capital incubator programs.
Honors & Awards
- Named in Super Lawyers’ New York Metro Rising Stars every year since 2014
Editor-in-Chief, Emerging Companies Insider
Emerging Companies Insider focuses on recent and developing areas of the law affecting startup and emerging growth companies and their investors, including choice of entity, shareholders’ agreements, issuance of equity to employees, preparing for and executing a capital raise, exit strategies and the JOBS Act and its impact on how companies can and should raise capital from investors.