As a member of the firm's Litigation Department, Matthew provides pragmatic advice to help clients avoid potential litigation where possible. When a dispute is unavoidable, he vigorously represents his clients’ interests in federal and state court, focusing on complex commercial litigation matters.
In addition to general business litigation, Matthew has experience handling matters that involve the following areas of law:
- class action defense;
- corporate governance (including disputes arising from proposed mergers and acquisitions);
- employment (including ERISA issues);
- environmental compliance and litigation;
- international law and business disputes;
- real estate (including zoning and land use issues); and
- white collar compliance and defense (including government investigations).
Matthew has broad knowledge in e-discovery issues and growing trends and has experience with large-scale document retention, collection and management on matters involving hundreds of thousands of documents. In addition, he is well versed in alternative dispute resolution in a variety of arbitration and mediation foras.
Matthew also actively represents pro bono clients on a variety of matters, including child custody cases, federal civil rights cases and those involving animal law.
Before Fox Rothschild
Matthew was formerly an associate at Dechert LLP. He also previously worked as a legal intern with the Pennsylvania Office of the Attorney General.
While in law school, Matthew served as managing editor and articles editor of the Journal of Animal Law and Ethics, and worked as an advocate at the Penn Law Custody and Support Assistance Clinic.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Matthew currently serves on the Cabinet of the Young Lawyers Division Executive Committee for the Philadelphia Bar Association as its Chair-Elect. He is a founding member and director of the Friends of Chester A. Arthur School Education Foundation. He also organizes neighborhood tree planting initiatives as a founding member of the Graduate Hospital Tree Tenders. Matthew is a former member of the board of trustees at Congregation Rodeph Shalom.
Matthew is a founding member of the Penn Law Philadelphia Alumni Club. He has previously served as a member of the Penn Law Alumni Society Board of Managers.
Matthew is also an elected member of the Democratic Ward Executive Committee for the 30th Ward, 14th Division in the Graduate Hospital neighborhood of Philadelphia where he lives.
The E-Discovery Stage
Authored by attorneys in the firm’s E-Discovery Practice, this blog provides updates and details on recent court cases of note and rule changes relating to electronic discovery issues that may affect litigation.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the "Pro Bono Roll of Honor" award from the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania
- Named Volunteer of the Month by the Philadelphia Volunteers for the Indigent Program (March 2009)
- Named a "Rising Star" by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2015-2016)