Mike’s practice centers on advising financial institutions, mortgage companies, loan servicers and collections agencies. He provides legal advice on national and regional consumer regulatory and legal compliance issues related to consumer and commercial bankruptcy, collections, vendor management, foreclosure, loss mitigation, and default servicing.
Mike also has significant experience with collection of retail and commercial accounts, bankruptcy and general banking litigation related to both retail and commercial transactions for credit unions and community and national banks.
- Successfully managed team of 20 lawyers and paralegals to clear backlog of more than 4,000 motions for relief from automatic stay and proofs of claim.
- Served as the U.S. Trustee Single Point of Contact for one of the top five largest financial institutions in the country.
- Assisted in the creation of a national judicial action and collections practice designed to maximize recovery for a financial institution and provide adequate controls over its third party vendor relationships.
- Coordinated the development and installation of new default servicing policies and procedures and training for employees.
- Strategically assisted in the development of Metro 2-compliant credit reporting policies and practices for consumer accounts.
- Assisted in a 50-state survey project related to foreclosure laws, affidavit requirements, and allowable fees.
- Collaborated with, and responded to, formal and informal inquiries from OCC, CFPB and FDIC to obtain positive results for client.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Mike was an attorney at a large, Midwest-based firm.
He also previously served as senior corporate counsel at U.S. Bank, where he was responsible for the bankruptcy and consumer collection departments for all of its retail business lines. His work included the development and implementation of policies and procedures, and the management of legal risk for issues involving collections, bankruptcy, foreclosure, loss mitigation and secured and unsecured claims.
Consumer Finance Law Ledger Blog
The consumer financial services industry continues to evolve almost daily. Consumer Finance Law Ledger monitors developments at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, as well as trends, court decisions and enforcement actions. This blog covers consumer lending, collections, bankruptcy, foreclosure, and loan servicing and origination.
Honors & Awards
- Named among the Minnesota "Rising Stars" (2017)
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association (2013)
- Finalist, Commercial Mediation, International Chamber of Commerce, Paris France
- William H. Thomas Award, Oral Advocacy