For eight consecutive years, Michael has been ranked as one of the leading bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys in Pennsylvania by Chambers USA. An innovator in his field, he offers strategic guidance to businesses suffering from difficult financial circumstances.
Michael began his career at Fox Rothschild and ascended the ranks to become chair of its national Financial Restructuring & Bankruptcy Department. He previously served as office managing partner in the firm’s Philadelphia office. During his tenure at Fox, he served as the driving force behind complex, high-profile bankruptcy cases, particularly in Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Most notably, Michael has handled the following matters:
- Counsel for the Chapter 7 Trustee in Hospital Partners of America, a Charlotte, NC-based holding company that developed and operated hospitals in partnership with physicians
- Counsel for the Chapter 7 Trustee in Winstar Communications, a billion dollar Chapter 7 case in the District of Delaware
- Counsel for the Chapter 7 Trustee in Dollarland, a chain of forty-six stores in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland
- Counsel for the Chapter 7 Trustee in American Tissue, one of the largest manufacturers of tissue paper in the United States
- Representation of Vacation Charters (Split Rock Lodge) in a successful reorganization under Chapter 11
- Representation of the unsecured creditors committee in the Chapter 11 case of one of the former principals of Nutri-Systems
For more than two decades, Michael has represented secured and unsecured creditors, creditors’ committees, trustees and debtors in a multitude of workout and bankruptcy matters, including complex Chapter 7 and 11 cases. He is experienced in a variety of industries including health care, retail, manufacturing, financial services, automotive and others. In addition, Michael has represented state and federal receivers, gaining a keen understanding of the many issues and pressures they face.
As co-chair of the firm's Automotive Practice, Michael also has extensive experience representing automobile dealers as general counsel, including the largest Mercedes-Benz dealership in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. He has aided automotive clients with issues such as:
- tax controversies - federal and state, including state sales tax disputes
- labor and employment law and compliance issues - wage and hour, employment discrimination, OSHA, unemployment compensation, and employee policies and procedures
- benefits - pension and profit-sharing plans, ESOPs and others
- environmental matters
- estate planning
- real estate - including buying and selling of stores
Michael is also a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Active in the Philadelphia community, Michael works closely with the nonprofit, Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project (CBAP), providing support through supervising attorneys, working closely with law students and serving as a mentor. He is also on the board of directors for the Ronald McDonald House of Philadelphia. Additionally, he is a frequent writer and lecturer on creditors’ rights and other related topics.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the Clients Choice Award for Insolvency & Restructuring in Pennsylvania by Lexology (2014)
- Named as one of the leading bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys in Pennsylvania, Chambers USA (2009 through 2016)
- Named to the SmartCEO 2010 Legal Elite list
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in the field of Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights by Super Lawyers Magazine (Corporate Counsel Edition) (2009 and 2010)
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Included in a list of "Super Lawyers" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2005 through 2016)
- Included in the list of "The Best Lawyers in America" for Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2013-2017)
- Included in “Super Lawyers Business Edition” in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights (2013)