For nine consecutive years, Michael has been ranked as one of the leading bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys in Pennsylvania by Chambers USA. An innovator in his field, he offers strategic guidance to businesses suffering from difficult financial circumstances.
Michael began his career at Fox Rothschild and ascended the ranks to become chair of its national Financial Restructuring & Bankruptcy Department. He previously served as office managing partner in the firm’s Philadelphia office. During his tenure at Fox, he served as the driving force behind complex, high-profile bankruptcy cases, particularly in Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
For more than two decades, Michael has represented secured and unsecured creditors, creditors’ committees, trustees and debtors in a multitude of workout and bankruptcy matters, including complex Chapter 7 and 11 cases. He is experienced in a variety of industries including health care, retail, manufacturing, financial services, automotive and others. In addition, Michael has represented state and federal receivers, gaining a keen understanding of the many issues and pressures they face.
Michael serves as co-chair of the Financial Restructuring & Bankruptcy Department and co-chair of the Automotive Practice Group. He is also a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Active in the Philadelphia community, Michael works closely with the nonprofit, Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project (CBAP), providing support through supervising attorneys, working closely with law students and serving as a mentor. He is also on the board of directors for the Ronald McDonald House of Philadelphia. Additionally, he is a frequent writer and lecturer on creditors’ rights and other related topics.
Honors & Awards
- Named to “Best of the Bar” by Philadelphia Business Journal (2017)
- Recipient of the Clients Choice Award for Insolvency & Restructuring in Pennsylvania by Lexology (2014)
- Named as one of the leading bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys in Pennsylvania, Chambers USA (2009 through 2017)
- Named to the SmartCEO 2010 Legal Elite list
- Named a Super Lawyer in the field of Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights by Super Lawyers Magazine (Corporate Counsel Edition) (2009 and 2010)
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" rated
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2005 through 2017)
- Named among "The Best Lawyers in America" for Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2013-2018)
- Named to “Super Lawyers Business Edition” in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights (2013)