Michael is an experienced litigator who represents individuals and companies of all sizes in a wide range of disputes, and provides compliance, regulatory, and litigation services in highly regulated industries such as gaming and medical cannabis. He has represented clients in the health care, financial, transportation and other industries in a wide range of matters in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Michael is a member of the firm’s Cannabis Law practice group,* a national, multidisciplinary team of attorneys who provide services and guidance to marijuana businesses in the following areas:
- Licensing and regulatory compliance
- Application assistance
- Banking and financial services
- Contract negotiations and drafting
- Shareholder and partnership agreements
- Venture capital
- Real Estate
- Employee benefits
- General liability
* Please be mindful that possessing, using, distributing and/or selling marijuana is a federal crime, and no legal advice given by Fox is intended to provide any guidance or assistance in violating federal law.
Michael represents gaming industry companies, suppliers and investors, helping them navigate complex gaming laws covering a full range of activities including video gaming/poker, charitable raffles and fantasy sports.
Gaming practice work:
- Have obtained numerous court-ordered injunctions against the Illinois Gaming Board preventing the Board from revoking a gaming license and/or refusing to renew a license
- Provide guidance on the legality of various promotional sweepstakes and charitable raffles
- Assist gaming licensees when the Illinois Gaming Board files disciplinary complaints alleging:
- Failure to disclose certain information to the Board
- Inappropriate inducements
- Misleading and/or deceiving the Board
- Commingling funds and/or operations with another gaming licensee
- Failure to disclose a PSIC (Person with Significant Influence or Control)
- Underage gambling violations
- Failure to pay taxes
- And various other allegations asserted by the Board
- Help initial applicants obtain gaming licenses and/or administrative hearings to prove they are suitable for a video gaming license
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Michael was an associate at Ungaretti & Harris n/k/a Nixon Peabody. During law school, Michael was a member of the DePaul Law Review, served as a legal writing teaching assistant and spent a summer at the Asian Legal Studies Institute at Beijing Foreign Studies University in China.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Michael is active in his profession and in the community. He serves as a mentor in the Lawyer 2 Lawyer (L2L) Mentoring Program and a volunteer mentor with DePaul University College of Law's Preparing to Practice Program. He also volunteers with the Center for Disability & Elder Law (CDEL) and is General Manager of the Loyola Academy Alumni Basketball League.