Michael has extensive experience representing clients in all aspects of commercial and criminal litigation in federal and state court. He has handled a wide variety of matters, including: complex contractual disputes, securities fraud class actions, commercial real estate disputes, defamation cases, First Amendment issues, environmental crimes and government investigations. Michael’s clients include pharmaceutical companies, real estate developers, television stations, newspapers, Internet companies, educational institutions, nonprofit entities, religious institutions and individuals.
Among the matters Michael has handled for his clients, he has:
- Successfully defended a television station and one of its reporters against claims for defamation, false light and tortious interference in regard to a prospective business relationship involving a news report. This is a significant victory for the client and for the firm, as it reinforces basic principles of journalistic freedom.
- Tried and obtained a complete defense verdict in a multimillion-dollar real estate dispute on behalf of a commercial tenant.
- Argued before the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court on behalf of a church organization in a breach of fiduciary duty case that resulted in the return of $100 million in assets to his client.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a television station in a defamation action brought by three police officers and successfully argued the appeal before the Pennsylvania Superior Court.
- Obtained partial dismissal of a securities fraud class action complaint against the CEO and CFO of a publicly traded company.
- Represented dozens of officers and crew members on maritime vessels in numerous federal criminal investigations of environmental crimes occurring at sea.
- Argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit in a First Amendment case involving free speech rights on the Internet and the Federal Communications Decency Act. The Third Circuit upheld the lower court’s dismissal of a complaint against the client.
- Represented a group of private schools, parents and a public high school student in successfully challenging the constitutionality of a Pennsylvania law on First Amendment grounds and successfully argued the appeal before the Third Circuit.
Within the firm, Michael serves as a member of the Diversity Initiative, which spearheads initiatives to promote firmwide diversity and inclusiveness.
Before Fox Rothschild
Michael was chair of his prior firm’s First Amendment and Media Law Practice. He has also previously served as vice president, general counsel and corporate secretary to Reon Broadband Corporation, an Internet company.
Prior to attending law school, Michael was a legislative aide to former Pennsylvania State Representative Lita I. Cohen.
Michael served as an editor of Law Review at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law.
Honors & Awards
- Included in the list of "Pennsylvania Super Lawyers" (2010) and "Pennsylvania Rising Stars" (2005-2007)