Michael focuses his practice on a variety of taxation matters with a particular emphasis on employee benefits issues, including:
- Plan documents and trust indentures for Taft-Hartley multiemployer pension and welfare trust funds
- Welfare benefit plans for compliance with the ACA, HIPAA, COBRA and FMLA
- Plan investment and fiduciary responsibility matters
- Defending plan sponsors and service providers against ERISA litigation
- Voluntary Correction Program submissions and DOL audits on behalf of pension and welfare funds
- Executive compensation packages, including deferred compensation, bonus and stock arrangements, releases and severance packages
- Obtaining 501(c)(3) and (c)(5) tax exempt status
- Payroll taxes
- Trust fund taxes
- State and local tax issues
Additionally, Michael has experience advising clients on tax exemption and employee benefit issues arising from change in control. He has assisted in the acquisition of health care entities, including mergers involving major national pharmacies and investment in long-term care entities. Michael also assists clients in maintaining compliance with Stark and Anti-Kickback Laws as well as internal audits and voluntary disclosure submissions to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Office of Inspector General.
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, Michael was an associate at a Northeast-based law firm. He also previously served as an attorney at two international law firms.