Michael handles transactional matters for clients ranging from sole proprietorships to publicly held corporations engaged in a variety of business pursuits. He is experienced in business formation, acquisitions, mergers and divestitures, as well as negotiation and preparation of employment agreements and operating shareholders and partnerships agreements. He also advises on capital formation, where he has substantial background handling private placements, venture capital transactions and public offerings. He has acted as securities counsel for companies subject to the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
In addition, Michael counsels a variety of startup and emerging companies, particularly technology-oriented businesses, on the planning, financing and operation of their businesses. He also advises numerous franchisees in the purchase and operation of professional, service and retail franchises.
Michael also serves as co-chair of the firm’s Emerging Companies Practice.
Among the transactions in which Michael has participated:
- Multiple acquisitions by a publicly held human resources service provider of complementary businesses
- Multiple strategic acquisitions by an insurance industry conglomerate
- Private equity transaction involving a highly regulated service provider to the gaming industry
- Sale of an animal health clinical research organization to an international strategic buyer seeking an entrance point to the United States markets
- Organization of a commercial real estate joint venture and related refinancing
- Asset acquisition by a multinational owner and operator of electrical supply houses of a regional chain of electrical supply houses
- Stock acquisition by a publicly held multinational media, advertising and marketing conglomerate of a privately owned Internet-based pharmaceutical market research company
- Multiple rounds of venture capital financings (both equity and debt) involving a developer of network performance monitoring software
- Formation of a strategic alliance between a multinational pharmaceutical company and a privately owned developer of proprietary drug delivery systems and related licensing and equity investment transactions
- Formation of a joint venture between a regional hospital system and a publicly owned owner and operator of health care facilities for the development of multiple ambulatory surgery facilities and related private placement
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Michael currently serves on Law360’s 2016 Mergers & Acquisitions Editorial Advisory Board.
Michael previously served as the president of the board of trustees of the Association for Advancement of Mental Health in Princeton and is currently an honorary trustee of AAMH.
For several years, he was a member of the Hopewell Township Economic Development Commission.
Emerging Companies Insider
The Emerging Companies Insider Blog focuses on recent and developing areas of the law affecting startup and emerging growth companies and their investors, including choice of entity, shareholders’ agreements, issuance of equity to employees, preparing for and executing a capital raise, exit strategies and the JOBS Act and its impact on how companies can and should raise capital from investors.
Practical Advice (pdf files)
Honors & Awards
- Included in a list of “Top Deal Makers” by Business News New Jersey (2002)